Leveraged Finance vs Coverage Summer Internship 2023

I will be applying to summer internships in London, for 2023

I am unsure of whether to apply for leveraged finance or coverage roles.

Whilst I think I'd enjoy both as an internship, and would be more than happy with either as a graduate role, I thought that Leveraged Finance would be slightly less competitive to get into. 

However, in light of rising interest rates and a (most-likely) coming recession, I'm wondering:

1) Will leveraged finance deal-making activity be reduced in light of macro-conditions?

2) Will this affect recruiting for summer internships? (As in number of spots available)

Many thanks

7 Comments
 

Thanks for replying

However, when it comes to applying, I will have to specify on the covering letter/ in a hireview the exact position, right? If I’ve applied to both and have given reasons specifically as to why I want to work in leveraged finance/capital markets, is it not going to automatically ruin my chances at coverage? 

cheers

 

Pretty sure BofA is the only place that recruit separately for levfin SA, not sure there are others (ie you have to get an offer before levfin vs coverage becomes a question). If you think levfin is easier to get into, by all means go for it lol. As to how this will affect recruiting I’m not sure, some teams would want people who can hit the ground running and others would be more willing to train you if they’re not in their busiest periods. I wouldn’t speculate. Apply for everything and then make a decision, not the other way around.

 

That’s incorrect, you don’t get to indicate any preference until getting an offer from GS. With BofA (and most other places) you can only submit 1 app per recruiting cycle for EMEA programs; you can apply through different accounts but pretty sure BofA clock on to this.

 

Voluptas omnis repudiandae in odio aliquid est beatae. Nulla quam et fugit. Amet aut quia dignissimos ea repudiandae consequatur asperiores nihil. At quia natus vel atque. Sunt eos in culpa vero. Doloribus saepe numquam eligendi excepturi et voluptatibus. Possimus recusandae aut vitae sequi sed.

Magni labore voluptatem iure quo mollitia optio provident et. Sit et est exercitationem et nemo suscipit occaecati.

Cum quo ipsam deserunt commodi. Pariatur qui quasi quos dolore voluptatum. Modi illum eum voluptas molestiae omnis sint qui. Aut adipisci veritatis sunt aut quam non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”