Leveraged Finance vs Coverage Summer Internship 2023

I will be applying to summer internships in London, for 2023

I am unsure of whether to apply for leveraged finance or coverage roles.

Whilst I think I'd enjoy both as an internship, and would be more than happy with either as a graduate role, I thought that Leveraged Finance would be slightly less competitive to get into. 

However, in light of rising interest rates and a (most-likely) coming recession, I'm wondering:

1) Will leveraged finance deal-making activity be reduced in light of macro-conditions?

2) Will this affect recruiting for summer internships? (As in number of spots available)

Many thanks

Thanks for replying

However, when it comes to applying, I will have to specify on the covering letter/ in a hireview the exact position, right? If I’ve applied to both and have given reasons specifically as to why I want to work in leveraged finance/capital markets, is it not going to automatically ruin my chances at coverage? 

cheers

Pretty sure BofA is the only place that recruit separately for levfin SA, not sure there are others (ie you have to get an offer before levfin vs coverage becomes a question). If you think levfin is easier to get into, by all means go for it lol. As to how this will affect recruiting I’m not sure, some teams would want people who can hit the ground running and others would be more willing to train you if they’re not in their busiest periods. I wouldn’t speculate. Apply for everything and then make a decision, not the other way around.

That’s incorrect, you don’t get to indicate any preference until getting an offer from GS. With BofA (and most other places) you can only submit 1 app per recruiting cycle for EMEA programs; you can apply through different accounts but pretty sure BofA clock on to this.

Non autem tenetur molestias corporis. Aut natus dolores quam corporis magnam dolorem architecto. Quasi est numquam nulla beatae mollitia. Inventore molestiae mollitia dolores tempore omnis explicabo enim.

Omnis qui ut aliquam veniam eum reprehenderit vitae. Vel ea iusto non quisquam. Quos numquam est mollitia et et sapiente.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”