Linked-In 101

I'm a freshman at a target school and I wanted to create a linked-in account so that I could find alumni, etc . . . but not necessarily create connections yet. How do I go about doing that, and is it a good idea?

Also, other than my schools groups etc . . . who "can" I add? People I've met at information sessions?

4 Comments
 

Are you trying to contact them or just learn about what they've done careerwise?

You can find people only if they're in your "network" meaning commonly shared groups, friend of friend or alumni from the same school. If you click on a name and you're not related in any way it will only show the person's name, title and work company. So if you have more connections the more people's profiles you can view. Also, linkedin will list all the people who have viewed your profile. So if you view an alumni's linkedin profile, they will see that you have viewed whatever career information they have included on their profile.

 
littlebitconfuzzledWhat does it mean if I can only see "Linked In member", and no actual name or picture?
You might be not logged in?
 

Et eaque nihil libero quo. Voluptates nemo sed itaque at sunt.

Rerum aut est beatae eveniet assumenda. Doloremque tempora voluptate dolorem ut necessitatibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”