LSE SU Alternative Investments Conference 2020- Worth it?

Hi guys,

I just got an invitation to attend the LSE SU AI 2020 conference.
Since I'm from Spain and I would need to pay Hotel costs + travelling costs + the ticket of the conference, I would like to know if it is worth it.
I know that the speakers are good and that I will meet a lot of students with similar interests, but I would like to know if going will make a difference in my future.
I have seen that there are workshops and networking events where some students might also be invited to interview process, but since I'm not a target student (I come from a public school) I really don't know if I could benefit from all that.
It seems a very interesting experience, but I don't have that much money and spending about 400€ with an event that might only give me some info about Alternative Investments is not considered for me a good investment.
What do you guys think? Are the "networking" events worth it the cost?
I consider I have a nice Cv for such an event since I have some experience in VC, nevertheless, I'm not target and being the event an LSE event, might harm me more than benefit me.

Thank you! Waiting for some thoughts about these :)

london target alum here. i haven't been to the conference myself (never applied either), but personally, i see it as a bit of a waste of time - you could watch interviews with almost any of the speakers on youtube where they will say the same thing.

on one's cv, i think it would be at best equivalent to an insight day at a firm (probably less impressive). that is to say that it would give you something to use when answering the "why are you interested in finance?" question, but that's about it. there's a reasonable chance no one will ask about it - a few years ago i won an essay competition and got to spend a day at big financial services firm with a (very) senior colleague. no one has ever asked me about it in an interview (15+). i get the feeling the conference might be the same.

again, i have not been, so people who have may feel differently. if you're really keen, it can't hurt, but maybe not worth heading over from spain for.

Thank you for your interest in the 2020 Investment Banking Full-time Analyst Programme (London) at JPMorgan Chase. After a thorough review of your application, we regret to inform you that we are unable to move forward with your candidacy at this time.

I appreciate your response. I wouldn't go for the "speaking" part (which is indeed very interesting) but for the opportunities that could arise from the networking events and some interview events that could arise (as they say they will in their page). Since I'm not LSE and also I'm from Spain, I don't consider I could have a good chance to get soemthing like this, that's why I don't think it's worth the money (which for me is very high). Thank you again for your time :)

My two cents:

I went to LSE, interned at MBB, PE and soon at top HF. Always got rejected from taking part in the society as well as the events. I don’t know how they select their participants from our own school, but it sure as hell is not based on merit when comparing myself to the people who got in. Not that I feel too butthurt about it. Turned out well for me...

Other than that, they absolutely do have excellent and very high profile speakers.

I wish them all the best in their future endeavors!

Most Helpful

Thanks for plugging your success and providing absolutely no perspective on OP's question.

Two cents? More like zero sense.

Personally would not spend money to attend a conference when networking is free.

What exactly is on your resume to make it nice? If you have a nice resume, you should be able to have good ROI on cold outreach to alumni (at all levels of success), people covering Spanish markets in IB in London, etc.

I don't think you really answered the question - what makes you ahead of other non-target students or other targets? What does your resume look like? Let us evaluate where you stand relative to peers.

Sint expedita perferendis quibusdam vel vero commodi dolore. Sequi ex facilis quia consequatur numquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”