Making $250k a year in your early 20s is wild.

I’m in banking and make around $200-250k a year depending on bonus. That’s…insane. Like, I just graduated. What 22-23 yo has that much value add? How in the world do I justify my existence??

I know the reasons go beyond simple value add, there’s competing firms vying for talent, long hours, and money to go around with big M&A fees, but it’s wild to me that in the modern age we can move slides around and make that kind of money.

Imagine a normal business struggling for cash flow at a board meeting, scrutinizing each financial statement line item to save every dollar. Now imagine them trying to justify their new graduate hire’s salary.

“Okay we spent $1,200 on a piece of equipment that’s dragging EBITDA slightly negative for the quarter. Also you can see we established a new line of credit of $5,600 a month to hold us over while we wait for that customer to pay us…oh yeah and Chadley Brooklyn over here needs his $250,000 to convert the client’s pdf balance sheet to excel.” If I were the CFO of that company I’d do the slides and financials myself, like seriously lol.

I’m being dramatic and I understand that Goldman’s Sack can afford to pay their analysts, but this job is crazy to me. I fully expect to be replaced by AI any day now.

Anyways, happy Monday.

Hey there, it sounds like you're grappling with the reality of high salaries in the banking industry, especially at a young age. It can indeed seem surreal, but remember, the high compensation is not just for the work you do, but also for the long hours, the stress, and the value you bring to the firm.

In the world of finance, the stakes are high and the transactions you're dealing with often involve large sums of money. So, while your tasks might seem simple like converting a client's pdf balance sheet to excel, the implications of that task are far-reaching. It's not just about the task itself, but the knowledge and expertise required to do it correctly and efficiently.

As for the fear of being replaced by AI, it's a common concern in many industries. However, while AI can automate certain tasks, it can't replace the human touch, the strategic thinking, and the relationship-building aspect of your job.

So, take a deep breath, embrace the craziness, and remember, you're earning your stripes (and your salary) every day. Happy Monday to you too!

Sources:

1. Can someone help me with budgeting? 170k as a 22 year old is absurd to me.
  2. Life in General Will Cost More Than You Think
  3. Overnight 23-year old BTC Millionaire? Life Choices
  4. How many of us are making over $250k?
I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

I think it comes down to advisory fees. I'm not only talking about banking, but as a whole across all industries e.g. real estate agent getting 6% for looking up the same thing I can on google... There are flat fee real estate agents now and other alternatives that don't hose you. Makes a ton of sense to me. I don't how banking advisory fees are still a thing. Well, I know why, but it's pretty stupid. Management team from company goes, oh, it's only $15mm advisory fee on a $750mm deal, seems reasonable because dollars are small on a % basis and can't not hire the best bank to pinch pennies and do a bad deal. Which is really a a cover-your-ass move because it's not your money you're spending in the first place (head of acquiring company's corp dev's salary and bonus aren't contingent on being frugal, they're more likely paid on capital deployed, revenue targets, etc.). 

If the corp dev and management teams were paid on ROI for deals and capital deployed (let's pretend we can agree on a reasonable definition), we'd see an end to these shenanigans and overpaid middle men bankers. Rant over

Yeah the flat % fee structure is how we do it at my firm. It’s just crazy no big companies have put their foot down and decided they’re not gonna pay the steep fees. Or competing banking firms haven’t driven down the cost to more perfect competition by now. So it leaves all this money for the firm and MDs and what trickles down to us is still a lot. Crazy.

Man I know you’re right but it’s all perspective. Compared to growing up, my quality of life is way down working this much living in a  HCOL city coming from a well off family. But I know I’m making more than the household income of many families I knew growing up. It’s confusing 

250k nowadays are way different than before. Especially if it’s 150k + 100k. Can’t probably even own a place where you live, maybe even flat sharing. No sport cars, terrible working hours so not even time for long vacations, no luxury watches etc…

keep working hard kiddo, we need to bump those numbers

Et ipsum eum expedita saepe. Est aut qui praesentium tempora et. Voluptatibus fugiat quidem voluptate in saepe qui aspernatur quo. Necessitatibus vel iusto vel temporibus molestiae quia. Fuga vitae enim veniam temporibus numquam corporis. Et et facilis quia saepe. Voluptate placeat harum eum doloribus nihil.

Incidunt illo rerum molestiae dolor facere rerum eum fugiat. Voluptatum dolores quos cupiditate maxime unde accusamus. Doloremque maiores dolor rerum dolorum sit. Minima at dolore totam voluptatum ut rerum et ullam. Repudiandae explicabo dignissimos quisquam voluptatum qui laborum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”