Ha. Choose Mizuho. It's a shop that's on the way up and there will be huge opportunities there. Barclay's everything will be a struggle. That's my 2 cents. But free advice is worth what you paid for it.

Ty040

This has to be a joke right...

Let me clarify, I am not joking. That is what I would do if it were me, I would go to work at Mizuho. Would you want to go to work for Credit Suisse or Mizuho? I bet 2 months ago you have said CS, because who the hell is Mizuho. You don't want to be where the money was for the last decade, you want to be where it is in the next decade. Your modeling of the situation is different. You are interpreting various data and trying to rank banks. What you should be doing is trying to make money.

Most Helpful

Look, I'm not an analyst, that is a long time ago for me. But I really don't understand why I'm getting downvoted for liking Mizuho.  Barclays is jammed up with all kinds of legacy problems and can barely do anything. Mizuho is not, they've only been around for 20 years, and they are putting money and effort in at a moment where other banks are on the retreat. Wouldn't you rather be a part of that? Maybe not. What can I say?

Take Barclays. Mizuho is a rising shop but you will get good training, name brand, experience, and just better exit opps from Barclays. If you genuinely like Mizuho and the people there better and you would rather work on smaller teams that get on large deals solely through capital markets, then totally shoot for Mizuho because you’re fortunate to have both offers in this environment.

Hey thanks for the even handed response. I hear what your saying, but I see it differently. Mizuho may have smaller teams, and get on deals through capital markets, for now. But with a stack of Mizuho business cards in your pocket, there's nothing stopping you from changing that. And that's what I'd want to be doing. But I get why people at this stage of their career would want what seems like a safer option. But it's a bad call. You should take the risk when you're 22. If it pays off you're set for life, rather than grinding along at a juggernaut where you can never get ahead. From where I stand it doesn't even really look like a risk.

Mizuho has been saying they are growing for past 5 years lmfao…if you want m&a and capital markets and all around experience choose Barclays if you want better exit options and brand name choose barclays…simple

I left mizuho two years ago and they were saying the same thing about being in growth mode etc. It will be a great shop, just not in the next five years. Barclays is better offer imo and if you want to lateral to Miz after it will not be hard at all

Et maiores ut sed consequuntur voluptatibus aliquam. Et alias sed quia. Temporibus possimus sunt repellat error.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”