Resclind decision for lateral analyst offer

What do people think about rescinding a decision for lateral analyst hires? I was offer employment with a lower BB but, they only give me 48 hours to decide. I have 4 interview lined up for 4 different firms in the upcoming week that is much stronger. What’s the consequences for me, if I rescind my decision after 2 weeks. Luckily, I won’t have to start until late Feb after bonus is fully paid at my current firm. What are people’s thought?

16 Comments
 
Most Helpful

You should ask a little bit more of time so you can schedule calls with 2-3 people on your allocated team, so you are fully secure of your decision and to make sure that you will fit in the culture.

This way you gain time as it may not be that easy to schedule those calls. On the other hand, call the rest of the firms, let them know that you already have offers and ask to have the interviews asap, just mention that you have a BB offer but you are mostly interested in their firm for XZY reasons

 

Thank you guys for all the advice. I have consider all the path that yall mention, but I really don’t think the lower BB will care. To provide some background, the offers that I have in hand is within DCM. And, my 4 upcoming interviews are all in M&A/Coverage for some top MM.

The group head / MD from lower BB call me and did a last round video call with me on a Sunday. I haven’t even received the actual offer from HR. The MD only provided me with a rough comp and isn’t even sure on the exact details. However, he’s pressuring me to accept offer verbally by Tuesday. I guess my question for everyone is what are the consequences of rescinding a verbal offer? And what about actual signed offer?

 

The MD told me that he will have HR draft out the offer later today and will call me tomorrow night to check on my response. Therefore, I honestly think there’s no way around it. Which leaves me with no option but to rescind my decision if I get the better offer. Love to hear what people think about that and if it’s going to hurt my career down the road, since banking is a small world.

 

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but if you REALLY want to interview at the other places then take the offer and renege if needed. A little risky, I would try to make sure there are no connections between the two groups (alum etc). I hate when banks do this, I had an exploding offer and it cut me off a lot of other great processes. Even the people at the BB I joined said I should have kept rocking and reneged if I needed to. 

 

I doubt that they know each other and I will avoid updating my linkedin until 6 months into the new job, so they can't figure out where I'm going. However, just wondering if there's been times where rescinding a offer caused any legal issue or other consequences down the road? For example, the group head / MD told a mutual business contact of ours, and whether that will cause any drama. I'm probably just overthinking it.

 

Me personally, I would ask for an extension to think about it, the excuse of speaking to other people on the team is a good one too. If they're not flexible at all, I would walk away; mainly because its DCM and you seem to have no trouble getting interviews at other places. M&A/ Coverage is very different in regards to exit opps, technical skills etc, whereas DCM pigeonholes you quite a bit. If you are keen on DCM longterm then go for it

 

Quia et dolorem maiores aut sunt. Voluptatem aliquid quos sunt reiciendis. Ut eos rerum perferendis a.

Id ab eveniet recusandae in. Qui deleniti possimus quo. Ipsam quidem quod commodi eos repudiandae cumque odit.

Maxime voluptatem explicabo soluta quod. Aliquid consequatur veniam dolorem in praesentium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 99.0%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 99.0%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 13 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 99.0%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”