Signed contract but still recruiting, can I back out later?

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice here. I recently received an offer from an MM internship. I’m grateful and it’s a solid offer, but I’m still in final rounds with a couple of BB and EB firms that I’d definitely prefer if they work out.

The issue is: the MM bank sent me the contract and gave me 10 days to sign. I don’t want to lose this offer in case the other ones don’t pan out, but I’m also worried about whether signing and later backing out (if I get a better offer) could cause legal issues or burn me badly.

Can they actually take legal action or call up other firms to ruin my reputation?

4 Comments
 

Based on the most helpful WSO content, here's what you need to know:

  1. Legal Action: Generally, employment contracts for internships are "at-will," meaning either party can terminate the agreement at any time for any reason. This means it's highly unlikely that the MM bank would pursue legal action if you back out. However, always review the specific terms of your contract to ensure there are no unusual clauses.

  2. Reputation Risks: While legal consequences are rare, the bigger concern is reputational damage. If you renege on the MM offer, the firm may blacklist you, and word could spread within the industry. Finance is a small world, and people move between firms, so this could come back to haunt you in the future.

  3. How to Handle It: If you decide to continue recruiting while holding the MM offer:

    • Be transparent with the BB/EB firms during your interviews. Let them know you’ve signed an offer but are more interested in their opportunity.
    • If you receive a better offer and choose to renege, handle it professionally. Express gratitude to the MM bank, explain your decision respectfully, and avoid burning bridges.
  4. Timing: Ideally, wait until you have a confirmed offer from a BB/EB before backing out. If possible, try to expedite the decision-making process with the BB/EB firms to avoid unnecessary delays.

  5. Risk Assessment: Consider the potential upside of the BB/EB opportunity versus the downside of damaging your relationship with the MM bank. If the BB/EB role is a significant upgrade, it might be worth the risk, but proceed carefully.

Remember, reneging is not ideal and should be a last resort. If you do it, ensure you handle it with professionalism and tact to minimize any long-term repercussions.

Sources: Is Reneging Actually That Bad?, Backing out after accepting an offer, Bank withdrawing signed/accepted offer?, Offer rescinded what can I do now?, Current IBankers: What would you do if a summer candidate reneged another offer to sign with your firm?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.
 

Generally it’s frowned upon to renege an offer, but I get your position. They won’t take legal action or anything like that for an intern, but they may blacklist you from working at that specific office - maybe even that bank. In my opinion, sign your first offer and keep working toward the BB offer and just renege if the time comes.

 
Most Helpful

Velit ut molestiae assumenda quibusdam et. Consequatur iure fugiat quo cum dignissimos. Qui qui possimus impedit ut quia sit eligendi. Et recusandae temporibus quae quas vel. Ipsum quaerat quis voluptatem odio hic. Velit et est inventore a dolorum ea molestias. Voluptatem consectetur magni excepturi ratione est doloremque excepturi.

Et et dolorem velit nisi nobis qui animi. Quasi animi facilis consectetur eveniet et consequatur accusamus.

Rerum molestiae nemo rerum sunt. Vero omnis facere autem. Aut corporis occaecati laboriosam vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 99.0%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 99.0%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 13 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 99.0%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
6
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
9
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”