Summer 2020 Advice

Hello fellow monkeys,

Need some advice. I am an international student with a 3.8+ GPA at a target (think HYPSM). Half assed my way through recruiting (poor networking and interview prep) but somehow managed to land three offers. One is an IB SA offfer at a BB in HK/SG (BAML/Citi/DB/CS), an MBB offer at a regional office in the US, and a SA offer at a mid-tier wealth-management boutique based in NY. I want to do IB FT and, specifically, in NY. My concerns are: i) working in the US is tougher since I am an international student and, hence, the US offers make more sense ii) working at a BB might be the best in terms of actual experience but its in SG iii) MBB offer is probably the best in terms of brand recognition but its consulting and at a regional office.

Out of the three, which one would position me for FT IB recruiting in NY the best?

Most Helpful

I would go MBB for sure. U can recruit IB FT from there and PE (after 2-3 years) from there and the brand name beats all your other offers. Would def not do the wealth mgmt boutique and if your goal is staying in the US, there's no point interning abroad your junior summer.

I am targeting BB and EB firms for I Banking and would get very good deal exposure at my summer stint. I think it is also worth mentioning that the MBB stint is at a smaller regional office (it's definitely a less prominent office than HK/SG) and I don't see myself gain a lot of skills relevant to finance.

Would that not position me better for IB FT in NY considering that I would have more solid finance experience and technical skills. I am leaning a little towards the BB offer in Asia because of the finance experience, but my top priority is to work in NY post-grad. Do you think the a BB experience in Asia would hurt my chances to recruit FT in NY? Could it help and if so how much more/less than the MBB experience?

youre probably not going to be making 7 figures anyway, despite what the pre-teens of this site think. choose another reason to do NY over SG.

CPA

Agree.

OP: I can't comment on that... But now you're still early in your career, you are not making a long-term commitment o relocate to SG permanently. I think the choice you're leaning towards is the one I would personally go for just in terms of skill relevancy and brand name. Also reiterating the ability to leverage the SA to apply for their NY office FT (even if you've converted FT in SG you can apply fresh to their NY office or request for internal mobility).

Necessitatibus sed odit exercitationem quasi. Quia voluptas est distinctio facere voluptatem at.

Quis est dolor aut quaerat. Repellendus ut saepe error minima doloribus et fugiat quasi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”