Summer 2020 interns: can we file for unemployment benefits?

Since most of our internships have been shortened to July, can we get unemployment checks for the month of June? It seems that according to ca.gov, we qualify since we are "totally or partially unemployed." Also, if we file for unemployment insurance benefit payments, will our banks find out? Here's the California eligibility guidelines: https://edd.ca.gov/unemployment/Eligibility.htm

While you could do this, your employer does get a notice that you filed for unemployment benefits since they pay into unemployment insurance or a state general unemployment fund. Of course this varies state by state, but I’d be willing to bet almost all do this. Probably not worth the red flags/integrity issues this would bring up with your potential full time employer down the road, or at the very least, a place you want a good reference from.

Most Helpful

Total shame on all you thinking of doing this. When our country's financial resources are stretched so thinly, for those fortunate to have a IB internship and therefore most likely a decent full time job offer in some aspect of finance around the corner, you all think you should be entitled to a piece of the pie from those in much direr situations? You are literally making more in a few months than a minimum wage worker does in an entire year. I hope you all get your offers rescinded.

shame on you OP. you're gonna be raking in ~85k pro rata but ur here asking if you can juice the public welfare system for a few more bucks while there are literally people dying and going broke

good luck with that return offer you've been dying for when HR finds out you've been semi-defrauding the gov for booze money

"They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the fuckin' smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby!" - Boiler Room

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”