One thing people need to realize is that return offers (90% of the time) are not a “luck of the draw” selection.

You have control over your return offer. Every bank I have worked at and every analyst class I have seen, offers go to who wants it the most. If you are thinking before getting the job that your offer is out of your control then I will be the first to give you your rejection right now. You need to find what motivated you in the first place to get the job and be so fixated on that end goal that for 10 weeks (which is extremely short mind you) should be a cake walk in terms of having that dawg in you for others to see.

I’m not trying to be a hardo here but I am annoyed how extremely talented people second guess themselves on whether there will be an offer for them at the end. When I was conducting FT 2024 class interviews we would ask interviewees whether they got a return offer or not and when they would say no and mention it was “the markets fault” it always rubbed our team the wrong way. We would then ask “did any interns receive offers” and the would say “Yes xx% received offers” which then leads us to sort of question why would we want someone who wasn’t in the “top” xx%? If no offers were given then the market card can be played but even if one was given then in theory someone was better than you and you need to evaluate what you could have done better. You’re not screwed for life if you don’t get an SA offer for FT but you also should recognize what you can do to ensure you aren’t in that position again. I understand their is politics, and favoritism exists but to summarize, I have never seen the top performer of the summer not get an offer over 5 years.

To quote a movie we have all seen (Titanic), “A real man makes his own luck.” Don’t prefer the character who said it but there is truth in the message. Life has elements of luck but the successful people in this world don’t rely solely on it. Don’t rely on luck for an offer.

As if some groups don’t have entire teams full of great interns, or if a great banker hasn’t been laid off before. And you can’t perform your way into beating the group head’s nephew or the dude who’s in the associates frat at the same college

You may be in the wrong career then. You will always be competing against others for bonus share, even if everyone is "great". And it's a relationship business, so hiring people with connections is not unusual or negative. It's not always (usually?) the highest GPA/credentials that succeed, particularly as you move up.

Most Helpful

I received a FT offer in 2023 after my internship, it was a brutal end of the summer for a number of us. That being said, previous poster is correct, the return offer is in your hands. I will do my best to give you a couple pointers. Take your destiny in your hands- they have to take some interns back for FT, if you are the best, you will make it.

1) Hard work. Pretty obvious one, but somehow people don't always get this. When your analyst/associate/VP says jump, you say how high (literally, more on this later). If your group has a facetime culture, you stay at the office as late as anyone else does. At the very least, for everyone, you should be staying until all of your deal teams are done with all work that should be done before the next day. Before you leave for the night, ask every analyst/associate you are working for what else you can do that night. Take on more work when you can. (Depends on dealflow, but if you are leaving before 2/3am, you have bandwidth for more.)

2) Communication. When you get a task, ask the timeline, who needs to check it over, and any other parameters. Ask if there are any precedents that you can use to make your job easier. Ask questions when you don't know, and ask them sooner than later. But, make sure they are not anything that is easily googled. When you cannot make deadlines, communicate this, the moment you think you will miss the deadline, better to alert your an/asso that you will be late, then be early rather than being late without them knowing. Finally, with important longterm projects, update intermittently as you complete part of the work.

3) Good attitude. Wake up every morning with a smile on your face and keep it there all day long. Everyone above you works much harder than you and has worked that hard for a longer time. No complaining, no negativity, you are happy to stay late, you are happy to take on more work, you are happy to work on weekends. Remember, you chose to be here so act like you want to be.

4) Cultural fit. Go to all intern events. Go to all happy hours with your group (but please don't overdo it). Make conversation with people, act normal. During lunch, if you don't have immediate work, socialize with the team while eating. EQ matters in this job, display that you have it.

Good luck!

Funniest

Well, I think the comment above is great advice, but I would also expect most of the summer analyst to behave this given last summer's bloodbath. I think what will separate the future FT analyst from the losers this summer is how far they are willing to go to get the return. If I were you, I would start sabotaging the other interns on day one. Give them a cheat sheet with the wrong shortcuts, put laxative in their coffees during important days and pay them extra drinks during happy hours so they get shitfaced to quickly and humiliate themselves. You can tell another intern that the hot associate has a crush on him and that he should make a move. This is only the tip of the iceberg, be creative! If I were you, I would also focus my effort on the top bucket interns. Best of luck OP!

For most banks you shouldn't be worried about rates. If you're a strong candidate and good fit for the team, you will get the conversion. The only places you have to worry about are creme de la creme (think GS/KKR SEO Off-Cycle/Blackelm Equity Desk Head)

Autem recusandae vitae veritatis et est. Provident sunt fugit quo sit rem et ipsum. Impedit aut sed nulla eaque qui rerum. Similique vel quisquam aut illum.

Ratione maxime voluptatem ipsum animi maiores. Maxime nesciunt itaque sed consequatur. Quasi veniam corrupti reprehenderit ratione. Quam voluptas blanditiis consequatur numquam ratione animi.

Omnis iste sint harum soluta soluta expedita voluptatum. Unde ut quasi enim suscipit iusto. Dicta quia nostrum modi et magni in autem aperiam. Dignissimos voluptatem est natus est. Ut doloribus velit sit dolor voluptatum ipsa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”