That $404,000 got me thinking...

...what IS the conceivable highest you could make as 2nd year analyst in any position on the street?

I think $404,000 is out of the question (someone correct me if I am wrong), I don't think even the undergrad kids at Blackstone make that much. But what about traders? Can they have such a knockout year that they clear 400K? I can see a 1st year pre-MBA at a PE firm clearing that much (I remember hearing the "million in 2" for KKR...), but I don't see that a bank...

I'll go. The highest I heard was a 160K bonus a cousin of a friend made in some sort of mortgage-related desk in his 2nd year made in 2006. I believe him, he wasn't known to lie.

wellsbombard:
I don't think even the undergrad kids at Blackstone make that much.

What does this mean? Do blackstone dudes straight out of UG make more than BB analyst?

I've heard they do. Although the actual person I know there won't talk about his comp (never bring up issues of money with friends).

GameTheory:
I know an analyst that quit after 1 year to join a large hedge fund. They bought out the 1st year analyst bonus at $100K, base was $200K, bonus was up to $200K. For a total of $500K total comp in one calendar year, $400K not including the buyout of the bonus.

Jesus christ. I should quit PE and go to a Hedge Fund!

Does Bstone pay competitive to that? If they're paying 500K or so for their 3rd years, 400K for 2nd years doesn't seem too ridiculous...

GameTheory:
I know an analyst that quit after 1 year to join a large hedge fund. They bought out the 1st year analyst bonus at $100K, base was $200K, bonus was up to $200K. For a total of $500K total comp in one calendar year, $400K not including the buyout of the bonus.

Funds don't just arbitrarily throw that kind of money at a 1y banking analyst (or if they do I might need to lateral lol). Any idea what might be driving that comp package? Language/Region experience? Knowledge of a particular industry/strategy? Was this for a fundamental hf?

wingman:
GameTheory:

Funds don't just arbitrarily throw that kind of money at a 1y banking analyst (or if they do I might need to lateral lol). Any idea what might be driving that comp package? Language/Region experience? Knowledge of a particular industry/strategy? Was this for a fundamental hf?

Traditional long/short fund. Big fund, relatively established, but trying to grow and poach the best talent. That was the driver for the comp package (not the individual). That was the standard comp package for everyone in that class.

As to the original, largest bonus I know for a fresh grad hire was $500k (first year) but that was mid-market PE. It was at one one of those mid-market PE funds that hires fresh grad "analysts" who are essentially glorified cold callers. The kid sourced a deal that ended up being a homerun flip...I think they literally bought and exited in less than 12 months (gotta love the easy credit years). Needless to say he got $500k for his efforts.

Best Response

so i was at a recruitment thing for lehman back in the fall and an md was talking to us and telling us a story about a kid who's working for him right now. one of the guys in his office (ie under the md) had called up the pton lax coach 2 years ago, asking if there were any kids who had not done well in recruiting but were good candidates. and there was of course a kid with shitty grades but the coach liked etc...so they took him into this office. the way the md told it, this was basically shit work, but the kid just worked really hard and made a good impression on everybody. one year later or so, the md gets a call from a gs credit derivative desk asking if they could interview the kid. he says sure. he told us that the offer had just come in a couple days ago (at that time, back in the fall), and goldman guaranteed the kid 1 million plus a % of his book. so at 23, this kid was being guaranteed a mil.

obviously, most people will think this is bullshit (and maybe it was), but i believed it since this md pretty much had no reason to lie (and he wasnt actually hiring for his office either...this was just a general firm recruitment thing and the md is in lehmans senior relationship management for basically the firms biggest clients).

Obvious bullshit. You're a complete idiot for believing that. Firms don't call their competitors and nicely ask to interview their employees. If they want to poach, they'll contact the target directly.

i mean, the kid was working as a glorified secretary, and my guess is he probably only got the job through his md putting a good word in for him anyways (relationhip mgmt does not obviously lend itself to moving into credit derivs trading). and believe it or not, oftentimes access to the best opportunities comes from impressing your boss (esp if he thinks you're capable of more than what he can have you do currently) so while it could definitely be bs, your reason for why is so half-assed as to be laughable.

Maiores quam inventore eum quo et occaecati. Pariatur vel quia eum. Ea atque accusamus architecto hic aliquid maiores repudiandae veritatis. Autem accusamus esse iusto aliquid quas rerum vel. Quo qui qui sed ratione omnis molestias numquam placeat.

Commodi occaecati quibusdam voluptates cum impedit voluptatem. Id dolorem at facere aspernatur est voluptatem enim. Veritatis nostrum vel enim animi tenetur voluptatem. Error placeat nihil dolorem est voluptatibus.

Labore non aut non optio temporibus omnis. Perferendis tenetur est quaerat provident molestias molestias. Amet ad id doloremque et. Ipsam voluptatem recusandae cupiditate repellendus laboriosam. Soluta sunt harum ea distinctio dolores exercitationem quidem.

Ad quibusdam nulla maxime hic fugiat culpa asperiores. Sunt a fugit fuga quam illo. Ut reprehenderit dolorem exercitationem eaque accusantium est quidem. Enim blanditiis occaecati aliquam magni. Possimus ut voluptatem nisi aut delectus sit veritatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”