Toronto IB Comp 2023

It's tough to get good insight on this, but now that 2023 is over, I'm curious about the total pay (base plus bonus) for A1s at big 6 banks in Toronto — RBC, BMO, TD, CIBC, Scotia, and NBF.

I'm aware salaries were lower in 2023, so if it's easier, you could also share what typical compensation looks like under normal market conditions. I’m curious to know which banks are paying highest on the street.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

Region

Ah, the quest for the golden bananas of compensation data! Based on the most helpful WSO content, here's what the jungle drums have been saying about the compensation for A1s at the big 6 banks in Toronto:

• First Year Analyst Compensation: Traditionally, a 1st Year Analyst in Toronto could expect a base salary in the range of CAD 80-85k, with bonuses potentially adding another 40-60k, and sometimes a signing bonus of 5-7.5k.

• 2023 Compensation Trends: The specific numbers for 2023 haven't been explicitly mentioned in the threads, but there's a general indication that salaries were lower. This could be due to a variety of market conditions, including economic downturns, changes in deal flow, or other financial pressures.

• Comparing the Big 6: It's a bit of a jungle out there, and banks can be secretive about their pay scales. However, the threads suggest that bonuses are declared around the end of the year, and there's usually a bit of variance between the banks. RBC, BMO, TD, CIBC, Scotia, and NBF all compete for top talent, so they tend to keep their compensation packages competitive with one another.

To get the most accurate and up-to-date information, it's best to swing through the latest threads on the WSO forum or network with current employees who can share the freshest bananas—I mean, numbers. Keep in mind that bonuses can fluctuate significantly based on individual and company performance, so the total compensation can vary from year to year.

Sources: Toronto - Boutique Investment Banking Compensation, 2021 Big 6 Canadian bonus thread, Big 5 Toronto Analyst Comp Help, 2021 Big 6 Canadian bonus thread, Base Compensation Increase | IBD | London

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Highest paying? Rothschild closed one public deal in 2023. Would be shocked if comp was the same as their US counterparts

Curious to know among the top banks in the big 6 so RBC/BMO/TD

What do the globals pay generally?

Higher than Canadian banks. Analyst 1 base salaries are generally in the 105-130k range with all in comp in the 190-220k+ range over the last couple years (although this was during Covid and may decrease a bit going forward). I’ve heard/seen of higher data points from top analysts at certain firms

All in Comp increases roughly by another 20-30k+ for analyst 2

there is more variability at the associate-vp+ level, but the bands are much higher than big5 

$100K base, ~$50K mid bucket (~$175K was top bucket for an AN1 at a B5 this year and ~$210K was top bucket for a AN2).

Globals pay like $10-30K more and as for EBs, believe 1st years at Evercore Toronto during 2021 got >$200K (though that was obviously an anomaly).

Consequatur incidunt dignissimos earum dolores voluptas sed. Ducimus placeat inventore commodi vel enim non vel.

Est sed voluptatem voluptas mollitia et autem. Vitae unde pariatur ipsum et molestiae nobis. Qui consequatur adipisci quidem repellat et. At voluptate sit et natus. Cum pariatur aliquid error eum iure veritatis.

Aliquam doloremque eum fuga est beatae maiores repudiandae doloremque. Minus sed totam et debitis aut. Id consectetur quisquam aut voluptas dolorem odit cupiditate praesentium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”