UBS London Group Preferences for 2018

Hi guys,

Having to put 3 preferences for my upcoming summer internship at UBS London, was just wondering if you guys had any advice/info about group selection?

So far 1st choice is probably their UK coverage group, have heard it's got the best culture although more relationship management focused as opposed to modelling. For 2nd and 3rd choices I'm deciding between TMT and FIG, have heard both groups are strong at UBS but not sure which order to put them in - I think I'm more interested in FIG but have heard all the standard anti-FIG advice which has made me uncertain. I think I'm a bit unusual for this forum in that I'm interested more in policy roles post-banking e.g. central banking so I feel that the sector knowledge from FIG would serve me better but TMT might be a safer option for the future? I guess there's also a tactical element to consider - surely TMT will be much more popular and so putting FIG second will mean that I'm more likely to get one of the two of them rather than neither?

Cheers for any help

4 Comments
 
Most Helpful

Well, the anti-FIG advice is from the perspective of PE placement (and doesn't make too much sense anyway). If you're genuinely interested in policy/central banking roles, I think it makes more sense to have FIG as your first choice. I think FIG is also popular at UBS (strong group, Andrea Orcel etc), so if you really want it, I won't risk putting it as my second preference. Regarding TMT, I heard it's a good group, but the hours are insane

cheers

 

I think you are right about TMT being more popular and putting FIG above will give you a better chance of getting in.

I agree with aintnotimetowaste, with Orcel being a FIG banker himself it is a great team and will likely be one of my choices too.

Also.. Any idea when they ask FT analysts? I'm moving to UBS FT IBD (did internship at another bank) and haven't been asked this yet, although have been told we will be o.O

 

Maiores rerum dolor quia voluptatem omnis temporibus. Et dolorem sequi et laudantium reiciendis eos. Itaque quos explicabo ipsam. Perferendis et eligendi odit odio.

Eum optio et maxime ea exercitationem. Reiciendis laboriosam consequuntur molestiae corrupti voluptates. Id modi ipsam iste dolores asperiores.

In et velit eum quisquam omnis repellat quia perferendis. Minus cum eveniet aut sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
6
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”