UK: Applying for a SA position or directly for FT? (summer 2016)

I'm going to start with the MiM at London Business School in September and would like to work at an IB in London post graduation. I've already done an internship at a BB in another city in Europe and wanted to know your opinion about which way I should go to increase my chances to get a FT offer at one of the big banks in London? 1. Apply for a SA position ( apparently not possible at every bank since I'll be in my final year of university?!) and try to convert it into a FT offer for summer 2017 2. Apply for a FT position directly - not sure how challenging this would be, since most banks fill 80% of their analyst positions with former interns?

Thanks for your input!

7 Comments
 

@ropemakernicco" may I ask what your background is? some people keep telling me that I should apply for FT, which would make sense but then on the other hand it's a lot more challenging, I guess.

 
Best Response

When does your uni year end? At my last place I know we phased the SA intake to account for different timings of schools across the UK and Europe.

I can also say that we very very rarely took on people who hadn't interned with us, the exceptions depended on where that person had previously interned, whether they were given an offer, and what we felt their relevant experience would be. Or if we happened to know someone at said firm who recommended them and would have loved to have you join but ultimately you wanted to be in London..

Bear in mind the internship is really just one big long interview - we would much rather have a long interview and hire them then take a punt on a full time slot with someone we have met for a day

Oh also I forget if SA is Associate or Analyst - If Associate, we ONLY hired new associates from the previous years Interns. My experience though is from summer of '14 and accept the market may have gotten a little better on the hiring front

 

Ut voluptatibus dolor distinctio maxime sit. Autem ipsa quaerat delectus aspernatur. Sequi rem voluptas voluptas quia consequatur est. Ipsam eaque est et tempora. Id maiores quidem ut qui alias et. Ut accusantium error dignissimos sapiente itaque.

Expedita autem unde exercitationem eveniet rerum tempora. Amet sapiente sed voluptatum laboriosam. Itaque voluptas quo cum et eos.

Officiis aut et et at et. Est corrupti minima rerum delectus est et nobis atque. Quo soluta magnam iusto. Sapiente velit reiciendis eligendi quae.

Quia modi quis doloribus suscipit est. Facere saepe dolorem repellat nemo ab. Et libero eligendi quae deserunt enim quisquam. Nostrum fugit nisi nesciunt. Quis omnis modi qui eius ipsa autem. Omnis sequi quo dicta quia. Ut consectetur alias ut porro nemo nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”