Final Year Student – No SA Offer, 750+ Apps, Should I Push Harder or Go for a Top MFin?

Hey everyone,

I’d really appreciate some advice or perspective.

I’m about to start my final year (4th year) of an integrated MSc in Business and Economics with a major in Finance at a semi-target university in Sweden. While it’s fairly reputable domestically, it’s virtually unknown outside the Nordics.

I’ve been interested in high finance for a long time and put in serious effort — I reached the final rounds for a summer analyst role at a bulge bracket this spring, partly thanks to my language skills (I speak multiple important languages), but unfortunately didn’t make the final cut. Around that time, I turned down an internship offer in Accounts Receivable because I genuinely believed something more aligned with my goals would come through. It didn’t.

Fast forward to now — it’s the middle of summer, and I’ve probably applied to 750+ internships, analyst roles, and off-cycle positions. I’ve also been cold-emailing smaller shops and boutiques in Sweden. Still no luck, and I’m getting seriously worried about how this will affect my chances of breaking into IB, PE, or similar roles post-graduation (2026).

So here’s my question:

Should I just keep grinding — applying, networking, cold-emailing — and hope to land something before graduation?

Or should I try to get into a top Master in Finance program in Europe (e.g., LBS, HEC, SSE) to re-enter the recruiting cycle with better positioning?

Would really appreciate your thoughts, especially from anyone who’s taken either path.

Thanks in advance.

3 Comments
 

Fugiat aut laudantium voluptas laborum tempore nesciunt qui. Quasi recusandae molestias doloremque quam optio eos. Vero totam dolorum nobis. Aperiam repellat natus et consectetur quas.

Quisquam iusto dolorem aut. Ex ad sit autem consequatur velit. Itaque fuga veniam aut. Similique veniam eaque dolores molestias.

Et nesciunt consequatur iusto. Modi tempora nemo dicta quasi pariatur corporis repellat. Sed illo sunt sit reprehenderit culpa aperiam. Reiciendis velit et sed inventore aut aliquam blanditiis. Eos sed sed natus ut voluptates quisquam. Quod laudantium nesciunt necessitatibus accusamus quis.

Voluptates dolor excepturi ex ducimus. Fugiat eos ullam molestias nihil laboriosam odio.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”