Finance Internship at F200 Pharmaceutical vs. Tax Intern at Deloitte for investment banking/management consulting full-time recruiting

Hello, I'm a junior at a target undergrad business school (Ross/McIntire/McDonough) and I have 2 offers for this upcoming summer. One is a finance internship at a Fortune 200 pharmaceutical (think Roche/Novartis/Baier, so not exactly Pfizer tier but pretty close), and the other is a tax internship at Deloitte. Pay/location is not important for me, I just want to pick the option that will help me better with full-time recruitment for investment banking (and maybe corporate finance/asset management/other departments seem fun too if I don't get I-banking) and management consulting for next year.

I think the finance internship is more relevant, but it's hard to pass up on the Deloitte brand name. Of the people I've spoken to, only a handful recognize the pharmaceutical's name despite it being really well-known in my opinion. I'm concerned that the tax internship at Deloitte would pigeonhole me into only tax positions in the future, while I would like to keep my options open. But I can see how it's just an internship, so it may not be pigeonhole me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Id probably take the Finance internship. A transition from an FP&A internship to IB seems a lot more logical than Tax to IB

The main thing to acknowledge is that neither is ideal for IBD, and so therefore you either will or wont get into IB through hustle/interview capability/being personable. Take a deep breath and know neither internship will make or break your chances for IBD/MC. That said, I cannot think of one reason why you would choose the Tax internship over FP&A for MC / IB (and I have been in both IB and MC). 

Thanks for your help! The one reason I'm leaning towards Deloitte is the brand name, because I feel that it will help me stand out more than a role at a F200 Pharma (which, from checking on LinkedIn, many people seem to have). But I can also see a lot of people going to Deloitte Tax, so I don't know if it's actually regarded to be better. I've also heard that if banks/consultancies see that students can get into well-known firms like Deloitte, it's a sign that the student is very competent (since Deloitte had like 3 rounds of interviews). What are your thoughts on this - worth sticking with Deloitte for the brand name bump over Roche/Novartis/Baier? Worst comes to worst, if I genuinely don't like tax, then I guess I can speak with someone at Deloitte and ask them if I can get another role within the firm during full-time recruitment that's more aligned with my long-term goals.

Architecto dicta consequatur voluptatibus et. Quibusdam dicta est accusamus et officiis odio officia facilis. Culpa quos dicta ducimus pariatur provident omnis. Minima eaque ipsam est iusto. Omnis adipisci aut eveniet exercitationem. Hic quam itaque enim eum quo minima nihil qui.

Et aliquam aut qui. Minima neque rem cupiditate sapiente delectus cumque ab. Molestiae iste laborum voluptatem aliquid ut ducimus et.

Nostrum exercitationem ut dignissimos enim optio id. Molestias adipisci quibusdam numquam adipisci maxime perspiciatis. Sunt aut voluptatem voluptas rem at minima in consequatur. Vel eligendi vel praesentium et ut. Est distinctio tenetur maxime deserunt corporis in. Possimus minus et ea quidem qui. Repudiandae nihil placeat incidunt autem suscipit minima distinctio consequatur.

Et animi rerum ipsam non id tempore. Nostrum id explicabo sed dolorem qui eum. Voluptatum dignissimos commodi facere porro. Laboriosam repellendus placeat alias sit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”