2023 LA FT Roommate Thread

Hey all - incoming FT analyst heading to LA in search of a roommate for summer 2023 start, and figured that there may be some other people on this forum who are in the same predicament. Feel free to drop your info down with the following information as well as a bit about yourself:

Start Date: 

Position: 

Office Location:

Total Roommates: 

Roommate Gender Preference: 

Budget: 

Thanks for helping start the thread! 

Very social person, go out often, bit of a night owl, love having people over.

Start Date: July 2023

Position: FT Analyst at BB

Office Location: Century City

Total Roommates: 2-3

Roommate Gender Preference: Preferably Male

Budget: 1.8k/Person Max

Moderately social person who is perfectly fine with both a night out in a large group and staying in to watch a movie. In my free time I like watching sports, reading, working out and doing outdoorsy things. I’m a pretty clean person but not annoying about it. I also have no preference for location since I’m hybrid. Preferably looking for roomate(s) who aren’t too loud on weekdays and are friendly people. Also, I like living frugally and would like a place with rent at no more than 1.3k/person.

Start date: July

Position: incoming FT at MM

Office location: El Segundo

Total roommates: 2-3

Roommate gender preference: none

Budget: max 1.3k

Equally happy having people over and going out or hanging out at home shooting the shit or reading.

Position: FT analyst at EB

Total Roommates: 1-2

Roommate Gender Preference: Don't care

Budget: ~$2k

Is living in West Santa Monica realistic for keeping rush hour commute to Century City under 30 min?

live here now, here's my read: 

1. Santa Monica - very nice, close to beach, tons of good restaurants/spots to go out. Apartments are pricey due to the fact that its mostly homes. 

2. Venice - also beachy, probably skews a bit younger (my impression is that this is because it's marginally cheaper than SM?). Bit more of a homeless problem here, if that matters to you. A bit farther from CC, but not materially so. 

3. Brentwood / Westwood - there are some decent apartments in Brentwood that some of my co-workers live in. Perk is that its still firmly situated in the west side, but is a bit more centrally located. Closer to Beverly Hills/CC. Good food here, but not very young, so harder to go out in Brentwood. A lot of fancy houses for older people. Westwood similar but big UCLA presence, so less rich boomers and more students. 

5. Beverly Hills -  I mean its Beverly Hills. Expensive to live there and very much a rich Persian drive a Ferrari type vibe. Lack of apartment housing here so probably hard to find something decent in your budget IMO (though I live here now due to getting a good deal on rent somewhere). Good food but very much a scene. Despite living here, I don't like to go out here. Not my scene. 

4. WeHo - IMO WeHo is kinda a shithole, but nonetheless, tons of people my age seem to think its cool and live there. Very young vibe. Lots of more LA artsy type people and less finance type people. Perk is that there are tons of things to do and lots of young people. Still not a terrible commute to CC.

Personal opinion, but IMO, Santa Monica is the best place to live if you can find a place that you can afford. Checks sort of all the boxes I am looking for in LA . Trying to move there this year myself. 

Looking to live in Santa Monica or sawtelle area. Enjoy going out on weekends and looking forward to spending more time outside (golf, hikes, beach) with better weather.

Start Date: late July - looking to move early to mid July

Position: associate

Office: century city

Roommate gender preference: male

Budget: ~2.3k/person max

Thoughts on a groupchat for us all to be friends and shit lol, might help a lot actually

New to the city (originally from east coast) so happy to meet new people. Pretty easy going - into sports, chill nights, and fun nights out. I'm a pretty organized person and like to keep the place clean.

Position: FT Analyst at BB

Total Roommates: 1-2 (open to 2-3 bed, ideally 2 bed)

Roommate Gender Preference: Male

Budget: 2k max, ideally 1.8k

Interning in LA this summer, where did y’all stay for summers?

Love hiking and going out, not from LA originally so looking to meet new people.

Position: Incoming 1st year FT analyst 

Roommate Gender Preference: Indifferent

Budget: Ideally less than $2.2k

Looking to live in sawtelle / santa monica / brentwood / century city. love hiking, beach, also going out on weekends 

Position: Incoming 1st year FT analyst 

Roommate Gender Preference: pretty indifferent but pref female

Budget: Ideally less than $2.0k

Hey guys, already have an apartment in Westwood and planning to stay here for FT but open to whatever. Very active, I race motocross, MTB, and surf. Big into sports and massive bbq guy. I am from Socal so pretty familiar with everything esp where to go out.

Start Date: Julyish

Position: Analyst

Office: Century City

Roommate gender preference: Whatever

Budget: 1.7k-2k

Most Helpful

If you're going SM to Century City in the morning and Vice Versa coming home it's actually not that bad as you effectively have a reverse commute (everyone is going to SM in the morning and leaving in the evening). It also depends heavily on when you're leaving. If you're leaving at 5:30 you can potentially add 50% the times I mention below (the 1:15 is probably the top end, it shouldn't get much worse than that). If you're leaving after 8:30 or later your commute is going to be pretty smooth.

I'd say going from SM to CC in the morning should be under thirty minutes, probably 20-25. Going home is probably a bit longer, maybe in the 35 minute range. Obviously going to depend on where you are specifically, but that's been my experience. Fridays could be bad, but I've only commuted into SM, not out of it.

If you're going from CC to SM, it's probably 30 minutes in the morning (can be better, but that's what I'd plan on), and on the way back it's going to be 45 minutes to an hour and fifteen depending on the day/time you leave.

Hey all, moving to LA this summer, and given how expensive 1-bed apartments are compared to 2-3 beds I'd be open to a roommate or two. I grew up on the East coast and enjoy the outdoors - hiking, skiing, surfing, and golfing. I'm social and enjoy going out eating/drinking with friends, working out, and watching sports. Looking to get an apartment in Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, or similar

Start Date: July/August 

Position: PE Associate

Office Location: Brentwood

Total Roommates: 1-2

Budget: 3k

This is super helpful! Big into outdoors, lift a ton, and try to live healthy. Want to go on day trips on the weekends to explore SoCal. Enjoy going out to bars on the weekend but also like a chill night in/out. 

Start Date: July/August 2023

Position: FT Associate 

Total Roommates: 2-4

Roommate Gender Preference: No Preference

Budget: 2.2k/person Max

Thanks for setting this up, hope it's not too late!

I'm moving out to LA after graduating this May to work in IB. I have lived on the east coast my entire life but am really excited about heading out west. I really love the weather and outdoors in LA so I am definitely trying to get more into hiking, surfing and climbing. I am also a huge snowboarder so am definitley looking forward to making trips out to Big Bear. As a native New Englander I am a big football and basketball fan. Also like going out or just chilling and checking out the city. As I don't know a lot of people in LA, I am definitely trying to hangout/be friends with my roommates.

Start Date: July/August (Flexible on this as my training is in NYC)

Position: Investment Banking Analyst

Total Roommates: 2-4

Roommate Gender Preference: Ideally Male

Budget: $1800/person max

Whats up! Grew up in OC but went to undergrad on the east coast. I've spent most of my summers in LA and have family in the SoCal area. I'm always down to go out/meet new people but staying in shooting the shit and watching the game or movie is just as enjoyable. Clean person, but not super anal about everything being perfect at all times. Love working out, being active, or doing anything outdoors really given the options around LA. Looking to get an apartment or even house if I end up living near SM/Venice. 

Start Date: July

Position: FT Analyst at EB

Total Roommates: Preferably 1-2 but open to more 

Budget: ~2k/month

Hope its not too late but shoot me the GroupMe if there is one. Would love to get to know everyone!

Impedit illum qui tenetur eaque atque culpa. Fugit quibusdam aut id et occaecati et. Tempore debitis adipisci voluptas incidunt mollitia unde. Possimus necessitatibus voluptas in. Natus aliquid quidem tempora distinctio consequatur laboriosam architecto ratione.

Rerum ut soluta numquam voluptate ducimus nisi nulla aspernatur. Aut itaque eos dolore porro dicta dolores nisi. Tempore iusto quia molestias cupiditate.

Sit repellat ut sapiente autem accusamus aut voluptas non. Ea exercitationem quia voluptates culpa quos. Excepturi ipsum unde saepe esse consectetur omnis. Corporis ullam tenetur sunt libero. Quibusdam quia et rerum veniam laborum ut voluptas. Repudiandae aut est vitae autem.

Eos consequatur aperiam aut fuga voluptatem. Saepe aut exercitationem mollitia aut sunt aspernatur eaque ut. Omnis aut repellendus quia enim.

Corrupti placeat quae doloremque asperiores hic at. Quam quisquam sunt ducimus voluptas natus. Ad consequatur perspiciatis quibusdam et. Molestiae et quis eius. Sit nostrum dicta doloremque fuga quod sed ut et.

Optio sed accusamus fugit placeat. Deserunt perferendis iusto officiis sint totam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”