Americans Say They Need to Earn $128,000 to Feel Financially OK.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-1…

This survey was conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of Empower Retirement and Personal Capital from March 23 to April 5, 2021. We surveyed 2,005 people, all of whom were 18+ and living in the U.S. The online survey has a +/- 3% margin of error and a 95% confidence level. 
Respondents were screened for age, household income, and investible household assets with an equal male/female split. 
Those participating had a minimum age of 40, a minimum $50,000 annual household income before taxes, and a minimum $100,000 combined household net worth, excluding primary residence.

Inflation's a bitch ain't it. 

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

Most Helpful

Beat me to it. Wasn't the last figure $77k/yr being the point of no more marginal benefit?

Also, since I can't get behind the paywall I gotta ask. Was that $128k/yr in the title for multiple income households, or single income earners?

Additionally, why does it mention participants are 18+ and then later on specifies 40+? Plus, minimum $50k/yr household income is below median income, so that seems kind of skewed to me? \_(  )_/

In the new vein of helping younger WSO monkeys: incessant questions like this is why you don't invite econ people to your parties if you want it to stay fun.

The poster formerly known as theAudiophile. Just turned up to 11, like the stereo.

That's exactly why you should invite econ people to your parties. You need to meet like minded individuals who are willing to ask questions and start discussions. These people can connect and perhaps join other people with the same questions and eventually organize it a group of people who seek to answer these questions.

"Fake news, why not give everyone $5k paychecks every month for the rest of their lives, no need to work. UBI is only fair and we basically did it during the pandemic, I don't understand why we can't just do it forever? Screw the upper middle class and rich for being productive" 

Manchin and Cinema are the only rational Democrats left, thank the sweet lord for them or we'd have $3.5tl in additional stimulus right now. No way inflation is going to be 2.6% like the Fed projects this yr, would be utterly shocked if it was lower than 4% at the minimum, probably 5-6%

I would bet money that inflation this year gets worse than last year's. I frankly don't buy last year's "official" numbers either because I know for damn sure nearly all of my expenses have gone up well over 10%, forget 7%. The change in gas prices alone should make it self evident that they (the government) are fucking liars trying to fudge the numbers and even when they're doing that the rates are still worse than they were during the literal height of the last recession. 

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

It's crazy: we always seem to run out of money when anyone other than the ultra rich or the military wants a piece of the pie.  The right wing exploded the debt for tax cuts to the rich in 2017 and there wasn't a word about inflation or the deficit. (surprise surprise, they didn't trickle down)  Most of the debt before that was from Bush's tax cuts and wars.  Even in 2021 we spent 750 billion on the military in single year and once again not a peep about inflation.  But when the Democrats suggest a bill fully paid for, over the next ten years, all of a sudden there's no money left.  Weird...

taxcutsfail

Well if you're making that much, it points to one thing really -- your costs (COL / taxes). Get out of whatever high COL city you're in and move to a lower COL one, Covid has unlocked many opportunities even in the stodgy institution of finance. I know several shops that have gone 100% remote forever, and many others that are hybrid besides and even still some more that have opened offices in other cities as they don't want to lose workers who desire more freedom 

Those participating had a minimum age of 40, a minimum $50,000 annual household income before taxes, and a minimum $100,000 combined household net worth, excluding primary residence.

This is clearly not "Americans".  It's middle aged people who are not in poverty.  What's the justification for not including young people or poor people?

Young people probably don't know enough about the costs of things to provide an accurate answer. At my age I really have no idea how much the type of house I want costs, or what are the costs involved with kids. I just know things like food and apartment bills.

Poor people can't be accurately represented in this survey because its an online survey, and the access to internet among poorer people is not equal so it's probably better to leave out the demographic then having a biased sample.(for example more poor urban people are able to respond due to close access and use of a public library compared to rural poor people leading to an underlying error in the conclusions). 

I do agree though that the term "Americans" is deceptive and probably just a click-bait title. 

Array

So at least sample 10,000.

only speaking with 2,500 and of that sample are losers who have so much free time they can sit around and take polls, makes me feel like it doesn’t do a good job representing true feelings.

it’s similar to those polls they always run during elections that are never right. Didn’t those polls say Hilary was going to run over trump?

Quas tempore non in est hic et ea assumenda. Voluptas necessitatibus ex nihil quo vel minus. Voluptatem corporis a neque similique eaque consequatur.

Rem commodi tempora nisi est et saepe. Sint error enim tempora. Laudantium distinctio voluptatem dignissimos a eaque cum eaque. Repellendus culpa quos occaecati voluptatum vel. Aut quas et quasi sint possimus provident ea.

Rerum non eum autem voluptas inventore dolorem. Ad id temporibus hic dolores corporis quae. Natus nisi fugiat sed quae eos. Aliquid rerum eum quia.

Temporibus nihil ea qui consequuntur hic dignissimos repellendus. Repellat unde et nobis soluta in. Exercitationem quia suscipit perspiciatis cum veniam quas. Accusamus asperiores quaerat corrupti dolor incidunt minus et. Eveniet enim minus nihil ut vero mollitia distinctio.

Dolor minima rerum harum. Tempora ut amet officiis voluptates minima necessitatibus tenetur. Et optio consequatur beatae minima optio vero ipsam. Minus ratione repellendus sed quia odio eos.

Culpa et ullam aut voluptate cupiditate occaecati. Dicta eveniet odit aperiam voluptatibus voluptatem ut quaerat quasi. Enim deserunt debitis aperiam debitis quidem modi amet. Veniam maiores illum consequatur rerum cum aspernatur architecto error. Eligendi minima odit repudiandae dolor.

Sed aut explicabo distinctio ut. Consequatur eos ducimus aspernatur reiciendis. Dolorem harum eius et doloremque. Et labore vel itaque.

Odio qui libero repudiandae velit aut. Porro voluptatem voluptas voluptatem sunt sunt inventore atque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”