And With the 1st Pick in the 2017 NBA Draft...

The Boston Celtics select Markelle Fultz.

Here's some insight into this year's draft class from Chad Ford, who polls a bunch of NBA GMs and compiles a tier list of top prospects (summary: this year's draft class is sick).

Tier 1 (Potential superstars)
  • Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
  • Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington

This category is usually reserved for guys who are surefire All-Stars or franchise players. Only six players since we started this column in 2009 -- Blake Griffin, John Wall, Anthony Davis, Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Jabari Parker, Karl-Anthony Towns and Ben Simmons -- have been ranked in this slot.

Fultz was unanimously nominated for Tier 1 by the NBA scouts and executives I polled for this piece. Ball was more polarizing for sure, but he still got a majority of the votes for Tier 1.

Tier 2 (All-Star potential)

• De'Aaron Fox, PG, Fr., Kentucky
  • Jonathan Isaac, F, Fr., Florida State
  • Josh Jackson, G/F, Fr., Kansas
  • Lauri Markkanen, PF, Fr., Arizona
  • Malik Monk, G, Fr., Kentucky
  • Frank Ntilikina, PG, France
  • Dennis Smith, PG, Fr., North Carolina State
  • Jayson Tatum, F, Fr., Duke

This is the largest Tier 2 we've ever had. This tier is reserved for players with All-Star potential. However, each player in Tier 2 has a weakness that some teams believe will keep him from being a superstar.

In Fox and Jackson's case, it's the lack of a consistent jumper. Isaac needs to add strength and find a position. Markkanen and Monk are too one-dimensional right now. Smith and Tatum might be too selfish with the ball. Ntilikina isn't an elite athlete.

Having 10 players in the first two tiers is extraordinary for a draft class.

So let's talk boom or bust, who are you long on and who are you short on?

Besides Fultz and Ball (who I think are gonna do great things in the NBA barring any injuries), I'm a huge fan of Dennis Smith Jr. Allow me the liberty to make a comparison between him and the man once known as the Windy City Assassin, Derrick Rose (courtesy of this realgm thread).

• Dennis Smith Jr @NCState: 19pts/7ast/4.6rbs/2.2stl - 46%/34%/72% - .576TS - 7 FTA's
  • Derrick Rose @Memphis: 15pts/4.7ast/4.5rbs/1.2stl - 47.7%/33.7/71% - 56TS - 5.1 FTA's

Derrick Rose was more athletic, but DSJ is more polished. Even then, DSJ reportedly posted a 48 inch vertical.

Short on Fox, I just don't think he brings much to the table besides defense. I could be wrong here or anywhere else in this post for that matter.

De'Aaron Fox has so many similarities to Kawhi Leonard coming out of college. The pull up J obviously needs some work but that can be taught. The lock down D, ability to drive and finish and emotionless facial expressions made him my favorite player to watch last season. Hoping (praying) he's still available when the T Pups are drafting.

Kawhi has 3 inches on Fox, they play fundamentally different positions, and Fox's jumper is worse than Leonard's ever was. A lot of people think you can teach a jump shot, apparently the likes of Michael Kid-Gilchrist and Ricky Rubio didn't receive that message. I like Fox but let's not assume he'll be a proficient shooter anytime soon, or maybe ever.

Array

Best Response
BobTheBaker:
A lot of people think you can teach a jump shot, apparently the likes of Michael Kid-Gilchrist and Ricky Rubio didn't receive that message.
You can in fact teach a jump shot, but it requires a pretty amazing coaching staff, which Kawhi Leonard and the rest of the Spurs have. I'm talking about the Shot Doctor, Chip Engelland.

http://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

Judging by the kind of talent Fox is, I doubt he gets drafted by a team that can develop him like the Spurs can. Also, yes, some players never improve their shooting in the pros, but there are a couple examples here and there of players who do (besides the Spurs players), like Jason Kidd.

As for the draft, I'm less interested in the draft and more interested in what teams are doing with their picks. There's all this talk of the Cavs trying to put together a trade package for Jimmy Butler or Paul George, Boston is sitting on a mountain of draft picks now, and there are some big-time free agents up for grabs this summer like Gordon Hayward, Chris Paul, and Derrick Rose (who admittedly is a shell of his former self, but he can still play).

So after Thursday's draft the 76ers will likely have 3 of the 11 (including Fultz and Ball - also, the article says 6 since 2009 but I count 9?) tier 1 players in their starting lineup next season????

TRUST THE PROCESS... HINKIE DIED FOR YOUR SINS... I know I am getting way ahead of myself so in that vein I will probably just go buy season tickets today. Also, I apologize if I missed any of this above but in my excitement did not read any of the other comments.

As a Sixers fan I've obviously excited about getting Fultz and finally putting together a team that can start winning some games.

I'm even more excited to see how the whole tanking strategy will play out in the long term. In my opinion the Sixers conducted an experiment with tanking and have pretty much ended up in the best position they could have after the end of 4-5 years. They have a lot of cap space, a good coach, and they've gotten the number one pick the past two years and have drafted/will draft two players who are considered to be generational stars. Combined with Embiid, who has shown glimpses of being a star, they now have a young and talented core, which is exactly what one would want after years of rebuilding.

The big question is, will any of it pan out? If yes, the Sixers will have constructed a blueprint that teams will follow for many years to come. If no, it will show that even by tanking for years and by drafting the consensus top picks year after year after year, that it is nearly impossible to rebuild through the draft

To scouts he appears to be a finished product with limited upside, which is why he is the ~5th ranked prospect in this draft. He seems to be a high floor low ceiling guy. BTW, in an era of constant pick and rolls and ball movement, someone reminding you of Melo isn't the compliment it used to be.

Array

Error assumenda amet fugiat accusantium voluptas distinctio consequatur ab. Alias a id quisquam ullam sit quasi ipsum ab. Unde vero similique aut amet sint eligendi quisquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”