Bonus Bananas March 29, 2013

1) Income At Home, Herbalife, and the $8 billion pyramid (The Verge) - If you're a casual observer of the Herbalife donnybrook, this new wrinkle will entertain you. If you actually have money to the short side, this will enrage you. I still can't believe the FTC is refusing to do anything about these guys.

2) Twenty money-saving tips from bankers and their wives (eFinancial Careers) - This is the most unintentionally hilarious thing you'll read all week. A banker sending his kid to state school? As if.

3) CASTING FOR SHARK TANK SEASON 5 IS UNDERWAY (In the Shark Tank) - Think you have the next million dollar idea and can sell it to Mr. Wonderful? Season 5 of Shark Tank just opened their casting call and here's how to get on the show.

4) Bitcoin Bonanza: Cyprus Crisis Boosts Digital Dollars (CNBC) - I'm putting together an entire week-long series on the ins and outs of BitCoin, but this week BitCoin just exploded on the deteriorating situation in Cyprus. At the time of this writing a BitCoin is worth $91 USD, up $20 this week alone.

5) This 17-Year-Old Built An Algae Biofuel Lab Under Her Bed (Fast Company) - This 17-year old might not have cashed a $30 million check from Yahoo! this week, but she's on to something potentially much larger with her algae biofuel. It was enough for her to win the Intel Science Fair, and her contribution to science could have an impact on us all.

6) 101 Ways to Save Apple (Wired) - With the recent decline in Apple's share price, you might think this is a current article. But you'd be wrong. Guy Kawasaki posted it this week as a goof on Google+. It's a Wired article from 1997. Their first bit of advice for Apple? Get out of the hardware business. Sometimes history is hilarious.

7) Dave McClure: Buying A House Is Far More Risky Than Investing In Startups (Nibletz) - I've been making this case for years, but now 500 Startups founder Dave McClure is joining the chorus. The incentives for buying a house (and, conversely, the difficulty an average investor has in buying into a startup) sets people up for massive economic failure.

8) A Faster Way to Get Drunk and Lose Weight (Men's Journal) - This won't surprise anyone who's ever tried the Atkins Diet, but I can tell you that this nifty trick works. Rum and Diet Coke FTMFW.

9) Man wins $8K after Disney 'Small World' breakdown (Yahoo! News) - I can't believe this poor bastard only got eight grand for what amounts to an eternity in the ninth circle of Hell. I'd sooner soak my junk in battery acid then spend a half hour stuck in It's a Small World.

10) Minor League Baseball Team to Debut Urinal Video Games (US News) - A video game controlled by your urine stream? Like minor league stadiums don't sell draft beer by the bucket already.

11) Son of Westboro Baptist Church leader attacked on live TV by naked 500lb man who burst out of bathroom, sat on him and shouted: 'Who's your daddy now?' (Daily Mail) - Late addition, and the first ever #11 Bonus Banana, but just too friggin' awesome to leave out. If you read nothing else this week...

Video of the Week:

The following video is pretty much the most amazing thing I've seen all week. It's the 17-minute trailer (you read that right: 17 minutes) for the new Battlefield 4 video game by Electronic Arts, and it is nothing short of breathtaking - and I'm not a gamer. Seriously, this is the kind of realism that'll give guys with PTSD nightmares. Even if you're not a gamer (again, I'm not) you have to appreciate what goes into creating a world this chaotic and immersive. Color me impressed:

That's it for this week, gents. Everybody have a happy bunny day and let me know what you think of this week's Bananas in the comments.

“The wife is doing the ironing,” another banker told us. “She’s not loving it, but she doesn’t want to get a job herself so is having to accept it.”

Saw that on Dealbreaker. What a bitch...

BTbanker:
“The wife is doing the ironing,” another banker told us. “She’s not loving it, but she doesn’t want to get a job herself so is having to accept it.”

Saw that on Dealbreaker. What a bitch...

No joke. It must be devestating when she has to take a break from her third glass of wine at 3pm and stop planning the next vacation to iron 5 fucking shirts for her husband. The shame!

I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Bitcoin is the new gold. Where's Paulson at?

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Best Response
Mr. Hansen:
Cruncharoo:
I can't wait to spend $1,000 building a computer that can actually play that game now. Thanks a lot.
I don't know how to build a computer, but now I want to.

It's really not that difficult, there are tons of tutorials online (youtube) and very detailed instructions with every part. I did my first build for a family member a couple months ago after only having replaced hard drives/RAM/GPUs growing up. pcpartpicker.com is an excellent website to get a build together with compatible parts and finds the lowest prices of each. You can even submit your build to them for review (or the reddit community buildapc) and they will let you know if there is anything you are missing or can do better for the same price.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Mr. Hansen:
Cruncharoo:
I can't wait to spend $1,000 building a computer that can actually play that game now. Thanks a lot.
I don't know how to build a computer, but now I want to.
I takes 20 minutes tops to build one. The exciting part is buying the stuff.

Eddie - Can we file Nr. 8 under the "No Shit Sherlock" Category. Come on man.. This is amateur hour stuff. Liquor + Diet Chaser or Water does not add additional calories on top of the liquor your drinking. This is why when you knock back a Rum and Diet, you're going to be drunker than your friend who imbibed additional calories in their Dark and Stormy. I thought everyone knew this fact.

Edmundo Braverman:
3) CASTING FOR SHARK TANK SEASON 5 IS UNDERWAY (In the Shark Tank) - Think you have the next million dollar idea and can sell it to Mr. Wonderful? Season 5 of Shark Tank just opened their casting call and here's how to get on the show.

Keep in mind that the T&C of just appearing on the show requires you to give up 5% equity or 2% royalty on income. Pretty big price to pay for 5 mins of exposure...

11 is pure gold, thanks, I haven't laughed that hard in a while

5 is awesome. I don't know a thing about biofuel but having buckets of algae churn out petrolium for free...eternally...just seems like a good busines model.

Get busy living

Quia aperiam necessitatibus delectus libero similique. Dolor ducimus dolores et. Vero enim qui quasi laborum. Sunt magnam repudiandae et. Consequuntur debitis maiores assumenda atque eum.

Ea sunt pariatur corporis minus. Commodi eaque est inventore minima. Rerum deleniti asperiores vero quam et unde reprehenderit.

Dolores a dolores et unde. Assumenda dolorem qui ex est. Magnam harum repudiandae voluptatem sed velit aut. Laudantium rerum doloribus commodi ea eos.

Hic vitae aut libero quidem. Nihil tenetur eaque illum. Rerum veritatis qui ea odio. Incidunt qui sequi aspernatur repellendus quam. Voluptas a dolor facilis ipsam. Qui sit vero autem ea numquam error eveniet doloribus.

Remember, once you're inside you're on your own. Oh, you mean I can't count on you? No. Good!

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”