Happy Thanksgiving - what are you grateful for?
fuckin tired of negativity bias on the forums recently (or maybe always?) so let's play the gratitude game. what are you thankful for? even if you've had a rough year, this is something I try to do every single year personally because when you remember all of the things you have going for you, it can lift your mood.
let's kick this off. I'm deliberately going broad but don't feel like you can't be specific (e.g. I'm grateful for my bonus, I'm grateful that alabama didn't cover the spread on saturday, etc.)
- I'm grateful for having my health and for life in general, some days it beats you up, but every day I'm still here is a new challenge
- I'm grateful to have been born and live in the USA, I still think on balance it's the best combination of meritocracy, opportunity, and quality of life
- I'm grateful for books, it's a wonderful distraction from whatever's going on day to day
- I'm grateful for the internet and technology where I can connect with people I'd never have met otherwise, stay in touch with friends who are far flung, and can do things I'd otherwise never done or been able to do (e.g. ordered my first book in my 3rd language with a couple of taps of my fingers, didn't even have to go to italy)
- I'm grateful for the outdoors and the change in seasons, you see nature's death and rebirth in action, and it's a great reminder that everything is temporary
- I'm grateful for people, of course my wife and family over everybody, but in my travels I've had wonderful small interactions with all sorts of interesting people, and it makes me smile that on balance there's still more good than bad in the world
- I'm thankful for language and being able to work out ideas with others' feedback. as much as I enjoy pontificating alone, using language to work out an idea with others is infinitely more productive, fun, and gratifying
so WSO, what're you grateful for?
and I sincerely hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving