Is Bonus Included in 401(k) Match?

Hey All,

Starting Analyst 1 this summer and I had a quick question about whether my bonus can be included in 401(k) matching?

I don't see why not but I always hear people talking about banking the bonus and know it's a different tax rate; as a result, it seems you really can't and also that would be an absurd amount of money for the employer to match from all employees.

Bonuses are not taxed at a different rate. It is ordinary income. It is generally withheld at a higher rate (I.e., what gets withheld from your paycheck) but that is just due to how most payroll systems work. So you will have more withheld and then get some back as a tax return (assuming you had the right dependents, etc in your tax forms). 

As for matching, I have only ever seen employers match a $ amount (I.e., there is a limit). So you should check how much your employer actually matches (is it $5k? $10k? Etc). Generally it doesn’t matter where it comes from (regular paychecks or bonus), but again, you’ll only get a certain amount of match. 

Most Helpful

If you are at a US bank in a standard analyst program, then that’s how it should work. 

People (especially those new to the workforce) confuse this ALL the time, because when you get paid your bonus you see a lot of it go to “taxes”. This is called “withholding”, this is NOT what you pay in taxes (when all is said and done), it is the estimate your payroll dept uses to pay. So at the end of the year, if you overpaid (because you had too much withheld, which is common with bonuses) then you get a refund. Many payroll systems just assume your pay is bi-weekly (or whatever cadence you are paid) so on a bonus it thinks you are in a higher tax bracket. 

Okay, I've seared that into my memory now hahaha, thank you! Very clear and how it should be, I've heard that they interpret that as your monthly income and literally tax it on that amount permanently. That's a lot better than the higher tax rates I've heard, look forward to taking a greater amount chunk home - must be a fat tax return.

Aut necessitatibus itaque possimus quidem minima ea. Nulla quidem voluptatem dolor qui in omnis. Deserunt qui dicta maxime voluptatum sit officia molestias.

Eos eos nostrum harum consectetur. Sit sed quia voluptatem et incidunt. Enim dolores enim non ut est molestiae. Impedit dolores commodi voluptas eaque et. Ex eum consequatur qui aperiam vel quo sunt. Dignissimos animi accusamus qui odio illo esse et et.

Impedit numquam sed explicabo sunt. Vitae quia assumenda asperiores. Numquam aut consequuntur tempore molestiae amet consequuntur in doloribus. Sit recusandae at velit. Est corrupti deserunt consectetur animi repellendus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”