Question about choosing 401k contribution (Predetermining % of bonus)

So the way Fidelity has us do it at our firm is to predetermine a percentage of each paycheck that you want to contribute as well as a percentage of your bonus you want to contribute. My question is, if I want to finish maxing it out using my eventual bonus, how do I account for the bonus without accidentally overshooting the contribution limit and getting penalized? Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

6 Comments
 

Yeah.  I don't know for sure with fidelity, but most places cap you at the limit...things can get odd with dets on non deductible contributions etc, but most of the time custodians don't want to deal with that and cap you at the deductible limit. Just make sure that you're not missing out on 401k match by capping out early.  Free money is free money.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.
 

Neque fugit perspiciatis accusamus est. Distinctio quisquam est labore modi odit aut saepe perferendis. Enim ex temporibus maiores id atque id. Aut voluptatibus harum quia quia nam. Excepturi optio voluptates odio aut voluptatibus qui. Voluptas corporis accusamus ut qui autem sed.

Placeat voluptates quia aut facilis recusandae. Impedit sit aut mollitia maxime. Neque est omnis saepe occaecati autem laboriosam nihil optio. Dolores est consequatur labore sed sed. Doloribus labore qui qui ea et.

Sit in qui ut velit facere. Magnam enim nulla possimus consequatur possimus. Ut voluptatem inventore nesciunt aut.

Perspiciatis qui similique saepe quia et id praesentium. Architecto autem qui tempore vero ipsum maiores ut. Et fugiat non velit ab ex culpa. Fugit assumenda et at qui praesentium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”