SAT Score good enough for MBB (1290)

Hello, I’m a Hispanic/Latino student that goes to a target state school (umich/ut austin) studying finance. I have a couple internships under my belt going into my second year of university but I noticed that most applications are still asking for SAT scores. I scored a 1290. Should I include the score or not? I looked it up online and I’m in the 90th percentile but I’m not sure if that’s enough. I also have a 3.9 GPA.

Based on the most helpful WSO content, your SAT score of 1290, while decent, might be slightly below the typical range that top consulting firms like MBB (McKinsey, Bain, and BCG) usually expect, especially if they are explicitly asking for these scores in their applications. However, your strong GPA of 3.9 and the fact that you are attending a target school are significant positives.

Here are a few considerations for you:

1. Target School Advantage: Being at a target school like UM or UT Austin already places you in a good position for recruitment. These schools have strong recruiting ties with MBB firms.

2. High GPA: Your GPA is excellent and indicates strong academic performance. This is often more important than standardized test scores.

3. Internship Experience: Having multiple internships early in your university career is impressive and beneficial. It shows proactive engagement in your field which is highly valued.

4. SAT Score: While your SAT score is good, it might not stand out for MBB applications if they emphasize test scores. Given your high GPA and target school status, you might still consider including it, especially if it's a requirement, but ensure the rest of your application is robust, highlighting leadership, problem-solving skills, and your internships.

5. Networking: Leverage networking to improve your chances. Connect with alumni from your school who work at MBB firms, attend company events, and seek referrals. Often, a strong referral can offset a less competitive aspect of your application.

In conclusion, if the application does not mandate including your SAT score, you might opt to leave it out, focusing instead on your strong GPA, internships, and networking efforts. If it is required, include it but ensure the other elements of your application are compelling.

Sources: Ask mbaMission about Business School Admissions, Ask mbaMission about Business School Admissions, Non-target student with full-time offers to 2/3 MBB's. Ask me anything!, How important is your SAT score?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

ur a DEI at a target. Just apply to RBC lmfao if you've been around the forum then you know they love DEI hires from tgts.

In all seriousness though, 1290 does seem rather low. If you consider the average Ivy league (read: super-target) SAT score being 1550+, then you are closer to the 85th percentile (as per collegeboard data for the past 3 years). HOWEVER. You took the SAT in highschool. You are applying as a college sophomore and are not the same person that you were in highschool. On top of that, if your internship exp. isn't BS then they will look closer at your GPA, internship experience, and personality. Its easy to focus on the one bad point that sticks out, but remember the importance that you place on that metric may not necessarily be reflected by the recruiters. feel free to dm with any questions

Cumque nemo ipsa quasi labore. Sed et est corporis et dolorem. Laborum harum facere repudiandae omnis est eos nam. Quis velit non recusandae consequatur. Aut sit et eum aut qui quo velit. Voluptas voluptates maiores facere placeat. Quibusdam blanditiis et aut enim nesciunt sint veritatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Morgan Stanley 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (207) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (151) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”