Should You Open an IRA Before You Max Out Your 401(k)?

Hi all,

Would you mind sharing your experiences/strategies on how you went about contributing to a Roth IRA and 401K?

My situation: I am starting my job soon and trying to decide how to go about funding my Roth IRA with around $6,000 in it as well as my 401k which my employer matches $2,000 (which I will definitely contribute $2,000 at the least). I have around $17,000 in student loans to pay back. In 3/5 years, I believe I will be making more than $124,000 meaning I will not be able to contribute any more to the Roth IRA.

So do I keep funding my Roth IRA now while I can, or would it be better to contribute more to the 401k because of the tax deductions?

Thanks!

Most Helpful

I generally think you should max out 401k first because of the automatic nature of investments and the discipline it instills in you, but if you've determined you'll be unable to max out both, the only downside with doing IRA & 401k is you own the investment decision making in the IRA. don't treat it as a trading account, maybe buy some individual names, but I'd still with broader ETFs and mutual funds.

also, just because you make too much for a Roth ain't no thang, look up backdoor roth IRAs, you can still do it legally.

if I were in your shoes, I'd do at least what your firm matches to the 401k, max out IRA, and then if you still have extra to save, put that into your firm's 401k. ideally, you want to be saving 20%+ of your income, but if you can't do that because of loans, 10% is a great start and better than most.

Well that debt should get paid down BEFORE anything else gets priority (besides free money). Why? Let's say your interest is 6% - paying off that debt is GUARANTEED 6% return as you work your way through it.

Agree with brofessor, 401k discipline is a big pro. Keep an eye out on your income to ensure you get at least 3-4 years of Roth contributions in before having to start doing more complex backdoor contributions.

Quia exercitationem ducimus similique dolor et. Excepturi ratione id et labore quia et et tempore. Possimus ex exercitationem voluptatem perspiciatis magni optio perferendis.

Eligendi quia nisi est nam autem. Rerum dolorem delectus voluptatem qui ab dolorum. A eos harum voluptas.

Rem ipsa aperiam ut qui. Voluptas quam corrupti pariatur voluptatem possimus. Dolor quo quidem non eaque. Deserunt quia dicta vitae porro non commodi rerum animi. Sint voluptates inventore assumenda omnis quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”