Teaser Tuesdays! - December 3, 2013

Welcome to the big leagues! I'll give you a chance to warm up with an easy one before you tackle the big boy.

Warm Up Question

I have three daughters and each has one brother. How many children do I have?

Question - The Big Boy

You have three dice, each with six sides, where the first will roll higher than the second more than half the time, the second will roll higher than the third more than half the time, and the third will roll higher than the first more than half the time.  Additionally, when you roll all three, the expected value of their sum is 7.  What numbers are on the faces of the three dice?  Show your work.

If you get the answer to the big boy, PM me. If you're correct and you are the first one to answer correctly, you'll win a WSO t-shirt! Don't cheat, although I doubt it'll help you. This is a custom riddle I wrote personally. However, if you'd like to commiserate in the comments, that's fine, but be aware that you may be helping others. Your call.

Good Luck!

Yeah 4 is the first one. Working on the second, definitely tricky.

Getting thrown off by the "expected sum of 7" @mikesswimn

hint for others: rock - paper - scissors

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

For the big one, some more information I've gotten for others to use. This is assuming I'm correct....

The dice are nontransitive.

The probability that the first rolls a higher number than the second, the probability that the second rolls higher than the third, and the probability that third rolls higher than first are 21/36, 21/36 and 25/36.

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

That's the maximum probability, but it's not the only solution. Technically for it to be a set of non-transitive dice they could all have the probability of 19/36 of being higher than the next.

make it hard to spot the general by working like a soldier

Also, can you post up the solutions for everyone else after they have been solved. For the past weeks, I would like to see if I was correct because the show answer buttons won't work.

make it hard to spot the general by working like a soldier

Damn, good job everyone! I've gotten some solutions in my inbox and while I haven't checked them out, I'm fairly confident (given the number of attachments) that we have a winner in there. I'll report back tomorrow morning after checking them in my own spreadsheet to declare the winner!

@yeahright Non-transitive dice, exactly what I'm talking about. Good work!!

@glide9811 No, the sides of the dice do not need to be integers between 1-6. In fact, they don't need to be A) integers, or B) positive.

@Skinnayyy Yes, this is true, but note Miwin's dice. Not 19/36 but still non-transitive.

"My caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested."

It looks like we have a winner! At 12:34pm yesterday, @"Monkey in Acquisitions" got the big one correct!!

I'll post tonight how I came up with the question!

"My caddie's chauffeur informs me that a bank is a place where people put money that isn't properly invested."

Best Response

Doloremque temporibus error enim soluta et. Error rem sit fugit earum dicta omnis ut. Dolor dolores aut harum quas dolorum accusamus molestias. Aut fugit autem aut et vero molestias. Doloremque est et sed dolores veniam vel adipisci nam. Perferendis molestias est possimus accusantium quam rerum et.

Rerum sunt facilis ut quo maxime ut et. Officiis sit at minus dicta eos. Ut qui aspernatur distinctio animi explicabo id.

Laborum earum illum eaque. A vel aut provident odit assumenda eos. Sequi non quibusdam id amet.

Qui libero accusantium porro aut odit blanditiis. Corrupti optio ut quod aliquid. Saepe nihil quam minus sint adipisci. Est occaecati eligendi cupiditate ut culpa fugit dolorum. Officiis aliquam voluptatum molestias molestias aut consequatur aut. Molestiae iusto in earum autem exercitationem labore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”