What would you rather have? A lump sump of $100M today but...

you have to die before the age of 65 (if you get to 65, you die in whichever way you want i.e. death penalty, gunshot to the head, etc.)

or

2) nothing, and you live your life as is today. 

[Comment removed by mod team]

$100M

Otherwise I’m scheduled to die at 117.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

$100M today and die at 65 for sure. I'd take that money, stick it in a 30 year treasury or some stable income vehicle and probably earn ~$1.5M per year for the rest of my shortened life. I'd then quit this stupid corporate grind, travel the world or do pretty much whatever the hell I wanted and then ask to die in my sleep.

Now obviously, it would suck to not spend as much time with any kids I have, but I think I could live with knowing that me dying early will allow them and any grandchildren I have, at minimum, to be financially stable for the rest of their lives if they have any ounce of fiscal responsibility. Not spending as much time w/ friends and family is the only downside to this scenario in my mind, but at the same time, I also could die tomorrow, so I'd certainly hedge my bets and live to 65. I'd be old and unable to do most of what I want anyway, I'd imagine, by that age, so I don't feel like I'd be missing out on THAT much either. 

This would be a totally different story, btw, if the hypothetical were 45 or something like that.

I also could die tomorrow, so I'd certainly hedge my bets and live to 65

This was my initial thoughts, but given the second clause of the prompt

(if you get to 65, you die in whichever way you want i.e. death penalty, gunshot to the head, etc.)

I believe that this means that 65 is a ceiling for your life expectancy, not a fixed life expectancy. With this interpretation you aren't hedging any bets by taking the money.

Array

Fair enough, but if that's the ceiling and I were going to die at 45, for example, anyway, then why in the fuck would I not take $100M now and monumentally improve my life till then? The real question then is are you comfortable dying at 65, which, as I articulated in my post, I would be OK with because:

1. I'd allow my heirs to have fuck you money the day they're born so they won't have to deal with corporate bullshit to be financially secure like I do

2. IMO, my health/QOL will significantly decline by 65 anyway, so the incremental ~15ish years I'd have to live wouldn't be as valuable as the ones I'm enjoying now in my youth. In other words, I'm personally willing to trade those "less valuable" years of my life to maximize my best years, if that makes sense.

But the $100mm would allow you to be a stay at home father for their entire young lives. You may not have as many years with them but you will spend at least 10 fold the amount of quality time with them than if you were working 60 hours a week their whole childhood. You’d never miss a single moment 

+SB I agree with this. I'm guessing that most of WSO is American males - we'll be really lucky to make it to 65 regardless of anything else. So I'm taking the 100 milli; make it 55 and the whole equation changes. 

US male life expectancy is is 75 years, down by one year since COVID, WSO demographic is educated and above average income which means they live a lot longer.  Do you really think obesity/COVID variants/breathing polluted air is really going to get us to the point where the life expectancy is so low that we'd be lucky to make it to 65?

Most Helpful

2 easily, regardless of how high the number. Anyone who values money over actual life, aka time on this planet which you only get to do once and which is always depleting, is fucking retarded. Life is literally the point. Money is a concept that was created to have a functional society so we can exchange a unit of value for goods or services without chaos/anarchy. Besides that, beyond a certain number, the marginal utility of additional dollars becomes extremely low. $50MM vs, $100MM -- what are you going to do, upgrade your 10k sq. ft mansion to 30k sq. ft? Buy a 4th home vs settling for 3? Definitely not worth a 20+ year life haircut. 

I enjoyed your post but I think that you are woefully underestimating what it means to get old in this country. If you're going to have any sort of meaningful life in your old age, you are going to need (1) lots of money and (2) lots of luck. The money is obvious - if its not, go talk to someone that lives on social security. The luck part will mostly be about your health. If you don't believe that, go and talk to an elder care lawyer and ask them how many millionaires they've seen go broke due to health issues (them or spouse). That number will shock you. 

If you are missing either of those two elements, then your QOL in old age will suffer greatly and that's really what it all comes down to right? What good is a nice view of a golf course if you don't have the legs and/or lungs to play on said course? What good is the travel brochures if you can't actually travel? So, yes, life is precious, but I think you aren't considering the amount of luck that you will need to make sure that your standard of living now is the same 20 years from now. Most people don't realize that fact until it's way, way too late. 

I will elaborate on option 1: Most people are just pawns in the system for most of their lives. The system needs you to be productive for the system to continue thriving. You are exposing yourself as having a slave mentality if you choose option 2. You would seriously rather live as a slave for the rest of your youthful life rather than living a life of paradise. You could literally do anything that you want with $100 MM, meet anyone you want, live a 100x more fulfilled life, but you would rather live for an extra what, 20 years? when you are old as shit and can't do so much anyway. I'm going with option 1 all day. Maybe if it was 45 it would be an actual challenge to answer this question.

I'm guessing that most members on this board are on the younger side. Go ask Henry Kravis if he would trade away the billions he has right now for another 10 years of life, I'm guessing there's a solid chance he'll go for it.

Not 100% though, because that guy really enjoys the good life. Even if he looks like you ran Mr. Wonderful through the washer and dryer one too many times

If we assume someone works 50H / week with 4w vacation per year for 40 years (pretty conservative estimate in finance). That would be a little under 11y spent at work.

So you either live 65 years at the fullest or 85 - 11 = 74y with a small probability of making it.

It seems like a no-brainer to me => 65 + 100M

The way to think about this is how much of your normal life is spent on happy moments and fulfilling things like travel, being with friends, etc. Those are the moments you’re actually living imo (unless you have some very fueling job). Better put- time you own.

Not having to work because you have 100m actually increases this “happy time” by a factor of like 10 i’d guesss. You actually are living longer in happy years….

These "happy moments" are in contrast to your mundane daily life. I think that over a certain point of lavish vacations, nice hotels / meals / etc... you'll eventually get bored and try to find something more fulfilling.

$100M, most likely. 

If I worked 40 hours a week (lol) for 50 weeks a year (lol) for the next 40 years of my life (until 65), that’s 80,000 additional daytime hours I have to myself. That’s the equivalent of another decade and a half of life, putting my “effective” life expectancy in my late 70s, comparable with your average American, except that I get those extra years when I’m young and fit enough to enjoy them instead of when every round of golf might send me to the hospital. Plus, I will never again need to worry about money - I may not be Bezos/Musk rich, but I’ll still be wealthier than the vast majority of people who have successful careers in finance, let alone the average person in the world. 

Every hobby, every passion, every desire that I’m now free to pursue is another lifetime I add. If you marry, now you can travel and romance for the next few decades instead of when you’re old and tired. If you want kids, now you can catch every soccer game, every play, whatever while they grow up instead of when they’re on their own and independent. 

There’s more to life than money, yes, but money enables you to experience those things. I would be very open to trading the last decade or two for unbridled freedom over the next 4.

nobody yet pointed out that even if you choose option 2, there is a significant probability of dying before 65. how much do you think people live? people die in their 40s and 50s and especially 60s very often. and even if you live to be 80 something, what quality of life do you expect in your 70s and 80s?

people on this forum scarifice their 10s, 20s, and 30s to make $10M. and your question offers to sacrifice 70s and 80s (which might not even happen) for $100M.

Ratione sunt beatae ea. Est ut neque nisi maxime. Qui sed fuga optio et quia qui.

Provident est enim delectus ut qui dolorem asperiores. Est eum soluta et dolor. Molestias iste unde ipsa.

Non iure delectus voluptatibus suscipit deleniti natus. Culpa nihil velit cum et repellat ducimus. Fuga qui odio voluptas veritatis. Aspernatur nihil laboriosam architecto repellendus.

Quaerat recusandae ipsam rerum illum dicta deserunt. Veniam quasi non voluptatem cupiditate. Sit quis amet ut totam molestias dolorem deserunt. Quo aut expedita fugit molestiae qui assumenda. Aut dolore explicabo quos atque commodi. Aut nobis nisi et perferendis ea nesciunt.

Quia molestias aliquid rerum. Quibusdam error minima esse accusamus quidem maxime. Dolor sunt qui facilis ipsum qui. Autem quis magnam ut sint incidunt molestiae et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”