What's a chill job (40-50hrs a week, no work after hours) where one can make 300-400k?

What are the options for someone who wants to have more free time and enjoy life while making 300-400k? Ideally leveraging investing experience

Just want to explore some exit options

I interviewed at one company for a small M&A group in a large company and it was 40 - 50hrs per week for an Associate/VP level for $200K base and $400K in bonus and profit sharing. I've interviewed at hundreds of places and this was definitely the unicorn. The MD was big on work / life balance.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

toothpickintoenail

You'd have to believe that is a top tier MD if he can emphasize WLB while profit sharing.

That team must be bankers heaven.

Yeah he emphasized that he wanted to treat the people on his team like family. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

birdseedcapital

What were your thoughts on that statement?

Largely that he would take care of me and provide for me appropriately. Good work environment. 

Most Helpful

TechnoDemon

Did you end up taking the position?? Sounds like it would be hard to say no to

I received a phone call about a week after seeing the MD and he extended a verbal offer. He was excited, I was excited. I said yes and he told me I would start in two weeks. I thought it was a major point in my career.

Then a week later, I got a phone call from him and he said he had to rescind the offer. He told me that someone in another group (asset management) was promised this M&A position by an executive higher than him at the company. He sounded very disappointed and told me there was nothing he could do. Major bummer. 

This is true. All of the VPs that I've been surrounded by at F500s are usually putting in a minimum of 50 hours per week (mostly more)... not to mention never being able to truly be away from work while on vacation.

MMBanker14:

Anything in Corp Fin (Corp Dev, Treasury, IR, FP&A) would hit this level by VP, and in a lot of places would exceed 300k all-in at Sr Director. At tech companies or in very HCOL locations, I'd assume it's possible at Director as well.

How long does it take to go all the way to VP?

Agree with above - corp dev or IR will make this by your late 30s (going with age here since titles are different across companies). Both of those you might have to work occasional late hours but known in advance and nothing compared to IB.

Array

Operational route with P&L responsibilities. Superstar operators can make good money if they perform well. At my company this summer, the GM of our business line as power in influencing company wide decisions in things such as investing / divesting into certain client regions etc. You probably will get pouched more often too if you developed a reputation of being a strong business line operator in your industry. Some rich execs ($50M+) I've seen visit my MBA program for class lectures eventually took on P&L responsibility rather than driving strategic / financial decisions (ie. consultants / bankers / corp fin etc).

Iste occaecati molestias fugit provident qui. Voluptatem at et maxime totam. Omnis pariatur ipsam quia. Dolores voluptatibus in omnis dignissimos assumenda ut. Sit sint voluptatem tempora aut sint. Et tenetur eveniet veritatis incidunt quis sint dolorum.

Sed nihil et fugit. Laboriosam cupiditate voluptatem facilis reiciendis in et. Consequatur qui architecto porro aut quo. Molestiae qui nesciunt doloribus quam minus saepe. Optio praesentium dolorem maiores ut voluptatem est. Voluptates consequuntur sint rerum architecto sit modi sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”