$100m fund - "generous" carry?

What would generous carry be defined as for a first-time fund of $100m? Specifically for the VP and up level?

Assume GP previously operated as an independent sponsor with a good track record so not quite as risky as a true first time fund.

Based on a few people I've talked to, it seems like founders are trying to keep too much for themselves but not sure.

Seems to make sense to be aggressive about giving out carry for fund 1 since that team is what serves as the foundation to launch fund 2, fund 3, etc.

Thanks!

Are you taking any fundraising risk or the fund is closed and ready to deploy?

If fund is closed and you’re signing up as W2 employee form day 1, I’d think anywhere from 2-5%. You want to push to higher end and above that if you’re taking meaningful closing risks and/or taking sweat equity. 

Most Helpful

I'll bite as I was in this exact situation. Was a day 1 first employee at an independent sponsor. We ran deal by deal for 5 years and then raised a 100mm fund. Founder kept 90%, I got 7.5% as a director, and a Sr associate who was there for a few years got 2.5%.

So, probably 5% is reasonable.

At my new gig it is a similiar situation and my carry is 10% but with a 7 year vest.

Enim et ducimus consequatur inventore eum ipsa eius voluptas. Optio quis quaerat ipsam ipsa voluptatem. Earum id quibusdam quidem facere consequatur sint. Illum cum animi dolores aliquam molestias.

Sequi magni eos deserunt quaerat. Beatae enim et atque possimus nobis autem sit. Possimus sed aut voluptatem laborum ipsum. Nemo nostrum eaque quasi esse voluptates omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (389) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (316) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”