Francisco Partners 2022 Reputation

Latest thoughts on their rep within the Tech buyout space? They've had a successful fundraise but was curious to see how they compared to Vista / Thoma Bravo / SLP within the Tech universe especially from an associate experience perspective. Any insight on culture / comp / prestige / upward progression would be super appreciated!

Most Helpful

Can't fully speak to in-industry reputation much as I'm still in banking, but have worked across from them and thought they were really sharp and casual/down-to-earth, for what it's worth. I'm in a tech group / pretty focused on tech PE so have done quite a bit of research on most of these names, below might be helpful: 

– #2 best-performing PE fund globally for net returns over the past 10 years according to independent HEC Paris-Dow Jones ranking: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220124005394/en/Accel-KKR-Tops…

Makes sense considering funds III and IV were both ~4x: https://sers.pa.gov/pdf/Investments/Investment%20Materials/2022-03-04-F…;

– Ranked #20 for most capital raised in the last five years by PEI 300 at $32Bn, just behind CD&R ($34Bn) and TPG ($33Bn) and ahead of Apollo, Ares, Permira, Advent, TA, Cinven, Veritas... clearly LPs think they're a top firm, at least: https://www.privateequityinternational.com/pei-300-2022-ranking/

Interested to see how they'll do with all this new capital because they have most frequently gone after UMM assets historically, so they'll probably have to write bigger checks and adapt their playbook (which doesn't always go well). Also when comparing to the (obviously) top firms ahead and behind them in the PEI ranking, keep in mind they are more or less pure tech, while TPG/CD&R type characters have a much broader mandate 

– Just raised a huge $13.5Bn flagship fund ($17Bn total) and have $23Bn of dry powder according to the press release... considering their prior flagship was $7.5Bn, that says to me they were smart and underdeployed capital during the peak of software valuations and now can scoop up high-quality down-rated assets on the cheap. Strikes me as a really smart/disciplined investment approach that will prob boost this vintage— seems like they're thoughtful and not just blasting cash out the door to raise again and play the asset aggregation game: https://www.franciscopartners.com/news/francisco-partners-announces-com…

Also pretty interesting what they're doing with their newish credit fund (though a strategy they're not as experienced in) after hiring a ton of former GSO folks  

– Just browsing LinkedIn, it seems like every god damn associate that didn't take a direct promote to VP or go to Viking/another top hedge fund goes to Stanford... probably helps that the CEO was Chair of the GSB Management Board / on Board of Trustees and is still on the GSB Advisory Board: https://www.franciscopartners.com/team/dipanjan-dj-deb

To get back to your question, everything I've seen points to FP being the same caliber of investors as the names you listed, but a bit more disciplined/value-oriented than Thoma for example (who must be down-marking the shit out of assets they bought the past few years right about now...) and more open to plays that are tech-enabled rather than just software/SaaS, with a mandate now broadening to more structured equity and credit. Obviously a bit smaller in absolute size and less widely known outside of PE/IB, but still a highly successful, well-respected fund whose associates go on to top jobs/MBA programs if they don't want to stay. Been around for 20ish years, and think that because some of their first funds in the early 2000s did just okay relative to TB/SL/Vista they didn't explode AUM as rapidly, but after figuring their playbook out and posting killer returns for 10+ years are catching up

In short, I'd sign the shit out of an offer from Francisco (or any of the other firms you listed...), and its name on your resume will carry you anywhere you want to go in the investing world if you put in the work

In London at least much more value oriented than your average tech fund. Guy who runs the office cut his teeth in semiconductor investing which should tell you all you need to know about their style. Great returns and smart people.

Question is how do you feel about tech investing in today’s environment?

one thing i'd note is that Francisco is much more balanced between growth / value buys compared to peers like TB / Vista / SLP. i wouldn't be surprised if their portfolio is doing much better than other folks' after last year's correction

Repellat nostrum eligendi rerum tempora ullam eveniet numquam. Deserunt sit et facere iure nulla. Reprehenderit repellendus eum aperiam aliquam qui inventore corrupti.

Consequatur est tempora at molestias quod. Numquam sunt qui asperiores eum id sit temporibus.

Soluta consequuntur aut officiis sit sequi repellendus consectetur. Enim qui veniam aut quaerat. Voluptatem aut illo perspiciatis.

Id cum ab voluptas voluptatem. Fugit aut fugit mollitia ipsam id. Sit ipsam enim voluptas sequi. Debitis aut in ea sequi veritatis iusto.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”