FT PE Analyst Recruiting Tips 2025

Hey guys,

I'm currently a rising senior looking to start preparing for FT recruitment. For context, I attend a semi/non-target, worked at a boutique investment bank last spring, am currently an intern at a LMM PE fund, and will be a summer analyst at an EB in a few months. While I initially intended to return (if offered) after my SA stint, my experience in PE has drawn me towards recruiting full time for analyst positions. That said, my university unfortunately has almost no network within MF / UMM PE and few resources to guide me through the recruiting process. I'd appreciate any info surrounding my initial questions:

1. What does timing look like?

2. Regarding my lack of a network, how large of a part does networking play in the recruitment process? Can I use my EB network during / after my internship, or is that generally looked down upon?

3. If recruitment is during the summer, how should I balance interviewing with work? (I've been told by some full time analysts that the shop is pretty sweaty)

Thanks for your time! Any helpful information not within the scope of those three questions would also be much appreciated.

Feel free to PM, even if it's for advice from me regarding internship / SA search.

Ahoy there! It sounds like you're gearing up for an exciting journey into the world of Private Equity (PE) recruiting. Based on the most helpful WSO content and insights from the WSO Academy, let's dive into your questions and chart a course for your FT PE analyst recruiting adventure in 2025.

1. What does timing look like?

The PE recruiting timeline has been known to be quite aggressive and often begins earlier than many expect. Historically, the process has started as early as the summer for positions starting the following year. However, it's crucial to stay informed about the current trends as this can vary year by year. Given your timeline for 2025, it would be wise to start preparing and networking at least a year in advance. Keep an eye on the WSO forums for any updates or changes in the recruiting timeline.

2. Regarding my lack of a network, how large of a part does networking play in the recruitment process?

Networking is a critical component of the PE recruiting process, especially coming from a semi/non-target school. Your experience at a boutique investment bank and a LMM PE fund, coupled with your upcoming summer analyst position at an EB, provides a solid foundation to build your network. Leveraging your EB network during or after your internship is not only acceptable but recommended. It's all about how you approach it – be respectful, express genuine interest, and seek advice rather than directly asking for a job.

3. If recruitment is during the summer, how should I balance interviewing with work?

Balancing interviewing with a demanding summer analyst role can be challenging but not impossible. Here are a few tips: - Prioritize and manage your time effectively: Use your free time wisely, whether it's early mornings, late evenings, or weekends. - Communicate transparently with your interviewers: Many will understand the demands of your current role and may offer flexibility in scheduling interviews. - Seek advice from current analysts: They've been through it and can offer valuable insights on managing the workload and interview prep.

Additional Tips:

• Prepare extensively: Familiarize yourself with LBO modeling and other technical aspects of PE interviews. WSO offers courses and bootcamps that can be incredibly helpful.
  • Practice your story: Be ready to articulate why you're transitioning from IB to PE and how your experiences have prepared you for a career in PE.
  • Stay informed: Keep up with industry trends, major deals, and fund news. This will not only help in interviews but also in networking conversations.

Remember, the journey to landing a FT PE analyst position is a marathon, not a sprint. Utilize resources like WSO, leverage your network, and stay persistent. Best of luck, and feel free to reach out on the forums for more advice or to share your experiences!

Sources: 2019 FT Analyst Recruiting Timeline, Q&A: Incoming IB analyst – international student, survived FT recruiting twice…, PE Recruiting Timeframe and Recommendations, 2019 FT Analyst Recruiting Timeline

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

They almost solely hire from SA class. FT hires are typically ad hoc.

If a firm is hiring for a FT spot, it will be middle/end of summer (aside from WP), once they have an idea of what their SA looks like. The #1 question they will ask is if you got the return offer at your EB, so that should be priority #1. Additionally, the lateral market is virtually non-existent right now.

Sint dolorem omnis corporis soluta sed voluptas et. Necessitatibus qui aut accusamus adipisci quo deserunt. Facere totam occaecati expedita sit. Esse accusantium corrupti rerum enim qui maiores.

Vero ut in aut perferendis. Aspernatur aliquam dolor voluptas nulla. Non quos impedit in voluptate sapiente. Quia officiis quasi omnis dolore dolorum neque.

Quia harum maiores aut. Necessitatibus ea laudantium nobis et sit eligendi. Nisi a ut velit possimus veniam facilis. Veritatis a molestias tempora id voluptatem. Velit odio qui voluptatem distinctio ab. Commodi a iusto ut mollitia. Voluptatem sit cumque ea assumenda est veniam in ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”