ICONIQ - 2022 Edition of Culture / Progression / Pay

Anyone have any insights into ICONIQ (hours, culture, comp, etc.)?

Have heard mixed reviews so far - specifically that new joiners today have less runway (more of a pyramid today while the folks who joined 5-10 years ago had faster paths to MD / Partner and are sitting pretty).

Noticed some recent senior level turnover - I.e., PE/VC funds investing and coinvestments was led by an ex-Stanford investment office person for ~6 yrs before jumping last Aug - now the PE/VC funds investing and co investments are led by two different individuals.

I’ve been hearing that comp is decent (i.e., I did see on a H1B salary database that base for a PE senior associate is  $175K, but who knows what cash bonus / carry looks like).

No datapoints on culture yet

I went fairly deep into the interview process on the Family Office side, but bowed out due to concerns around the culture.  As mentioned, there's been a ton of turnover and the people in charge came across as very stiff/hardos. Can't speak to comp but likely some good progression if you stick around given how aggressively they're trying to grow the team.

Most Helpful

Turnover on FO side was much more extreme than just that individual.  In under three years starting 2019 the team lost: 

• Head of Risk & Quant
  • Head of PE/VC & Co-Investments
  • Head of Private Credit
  • 2 VPs
  • 4 Sr. Associates
  • 1 Analyst

Effectively a full turnover of the team (believe only two individuals remaining from the start of 2019; even both EAs are no longer there).  Glassdoor reviews have been sanitized and multiple negative reviews removed.  

Turnover on FO side was much more extreme than just that individual.  In under three years starting 2019 the team lost: 

• Head of Risk & Quant
  • Head of PE/VC & Co-Investments
  • Head of Private Credit
  • 2 VPs
  • 4 Sr. Associates
  • 1 Analyst

Effectively a full turnover of the team (believe only two individuals remaining from the start of 2019; even both EAs are no longer there).  Glassdoor reviews have been sanitized and multiple negative reviews removed.  

Head of Risk - literally, who cares

Associates/Analyst turnover is expected, particular in COVID era (ie since 2019). What do you think turnover was elsewhere?

So all that’s left is 2 VPs leaving and Head of Private Credit? Does ICONIQ even have a private credit business?

When assessing turnover at an organization it’s helpful to keep the broader market on context and personally I put a ton of weight into where the leavers went. If they left for seemingly downgrade jobs and how their career trajectory has looked; that’s much more telling than an upgrade or run of the mill natural attrition/musical chairs.

Have a close friend who worked on their growth team. Spoke highly of his overall experience as it related to the exposure he got to the sourcing side and the execution side. He did say it was a very political place though and that it was a factor in his decision to exit, though most of his decision was driven by wanting to go to a start-up and leave investing altogether.

Exercitationem optio et ipsa culpa non neque. Quibusdam earum blanditiis iure facilis voluptas.

Sint nostrum quo tempora ea. Facilis quo pariatur sunt deserunt quia culpa quis neque. Delectus labore et similique magni dolor. Voluptates neque enim dolores ducimus illo maiores. Dolorem facilis suscipit vitae. Sed sunt quo distinctio suscipit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”