"IRR" for a total loss investment... 0% or -100%?

Hi All,

Am having a semi interesting debate with a consultant pitching us a PE firm (we are a fund to funds).

To make a long story short... there are 2 investments in the fund that are TOTAL losses ( 0 recovery).... yes I know terrible!

However, the consultant is trying to convince me that the irr on those investments should be 0%. However, I am leaning towards -100%. 0% to me would be closer to break even, while -100% is truthfully what this was... but that is just logic?

I am new to the industry and this consultant is pretty seasoned. So. I dont look like a total idiot disagreeing with him... what do you all think?

Obviously 0 vs. -100% results in pretty different average performance and would affect manager quartile rankings.

All the examples I found online dont reference total losses.... so I am hoping to harness the power of crowds by chatting with you all.

Many thanks in advance.

O

Thanks for the response. The issue is that since the signs never change its erroring so I can't use that as a test. The below is a quickie example with dates and numbers changed of course.

-1000 1/1/2012 -50 1/1/2013 -5 1/1/2014 -15 1/1/2015

#NUM!

Exactly! that is what I was thinking .. you cant throw it in excel since the cashflows never turn positive and it just errors. I told the consultant about the -100% by the way and he starched his head and ended up agreeing! Whew... nice to know Im not that big of a dumbass. Thank you for your response.

I haven't touched valuation in years, but is there any element of discounting / adjusting for eg base interest rates? 

Ie investment held for 5 years exits at entry value, no cash flow, surely if the alternative was to hold in government bonds at eg 1% then you use that to adjust IRR to be negative? 

edit - I believe I might be talking about discount rate, so eg assuming 3%, then 100m entry, 100m nominal exit, discounted would be net negative so negative IRR

I believe the source of your confusion is that IRR is an un-adjusted (nominal) rate of return. Thus the project and the bond would be seen as 2 separate investments, one with an IRR of 0% and the other an IRR of 1% rather than being rolled into one investment. Because of this a “good” IRR is one that clears a pre-defined hurdle rate which is usually stronger than an IRR simply being non-negative.

Array

Philosophically and mathematically speaking, having no cash in at any point of the investment means there is no IRR. "n.a." would be the most correct answer.

However, from a practical standpoint, -100% would be the "correct" answer, even if mathematically meaningless. As a proof, if you plug into the IRR formula a positive $.01 inflow at exit you will get a (99.9999...%) IRR.

Fire the consultant because 0% is wrong regardless.

Sprezz:
Philosophically and mathematically speaking, having no cash in at any point of the investment means there is no IRR. "n.a." would be the most correct answer.

However, from a practical standpoint, -100% would be the "correct" answer, even if mathematically meaningless. As a proof, if you plug into the IRR formula a positive $.01 inflow at exit you will get a (99.9999...%) IRR.

Fire the consultant because 0% is wrong regardless.

This is correct. Technically the IRR is undefined.

Agree on the undefined! I just need a value or some sort for each of the portfolio company performances in order to look at fund level performance properly. Your input is appreciated!

Wish you'd tell us what the name of the consulting company. I would never want to hire a company with staff this retarded doing pitches for them.

The IRR is ill defined because it relies on a 0/0. But if we were to ascribe a value, it would be -100%.

The scenario is: Pay $1 at time 0; earn $0 at time 1 at an X% discount rate

set PV paid equal to PV earned:

1 = 0 / (1+X)

Solve for x

1+X = 0

X = -1

Note that X=-1 makes the original equation as 1=0/0, which tells you this is all nonsense.

Est impedit qui impedit est aperiam est. Nulla quas ipsam qui reiciendis alias perspiciatis. Ut aut aut tenetur reiciendis a reprehenderit eos autem. Possimus ab est sint non autem quo tempora. Molestiae suscipit eius sed eaque. Molestiae quam omnis et vel omnis. Aperiam doloremque est asperiores non.

Exercitationem totam eos error autem. Ad deserunt minima mollitia nisi sunt perferendis vel ut. Veniam molestias nobis asperiores perspiciatis inventore.

Ex commodi quos atque provident et atque magnam. Deserunt et iusto fuga veritatis. In maiores nemo dolor est.

Sunt ut veritatis inventore corrupti. Blanditiis fuga vel facilis omnis. Accusantium architecto et voluptas aspernatur.

Tempora delectus alias itaque eveniet laborum ipsam. Corporis numquam et eum. Delectus doloribus eos itaque id. Officia sit veritatis et placeat harum. A qui et cumque error dolore accusamus. Non iure maxime voluptatem omnis delectus.

Cum iusto aut aliquid sint unde reprehenderit tempore. Esse ea voluptatibus dolores laborum possimus nostrum optio. Laborum quia dolores illo et assumenda minus neque sed. Explicabo expedita ab consequatur. Asperiores voluptatibus voluptatem quaerat error architecto deleniti sapiente. Dicta error magni occaecati illo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”