Is $200k all-in (+ some carry) low for a 1st year associate at a LMM PE fund?

Currently interviewing at a LMM PE fund ($500mm fund, $1.5bn AUM) that's all-in is $200k starting. It also has some carry, but it didn't sound super significant starting off (I'll get the concrete numbers if/when I get the offer letter). It's located in a cheap "tier 3" city that I have a connection to (I know that's a stupid label, but just think of a city a step lower and a lot more affordable than Boston / Chicago / LA ). I would be coming from a BB in NY. Would love to get thoughts on if this comp sounds low or in line with a lot of funds in the $500mm range.

Most Helpful

I'm assuming that $200k number doesn't include carry at work? If it's $200k cash, that's a little light but not terrible in my opinion. If it's $200k and that includes something like $250k in carry annualized over 7 years, then it would be light. 

If you can get base + bonus to $200k or so and then add carry for the most recent fund on top, that's not a terrible package for a tier 3 1st year Associate. 

The things I'd vet are, what does the career progression look like? Could you stay for a while and not be 2 and outed? What does B school placement look like? How has the fund performed? Who are the LPs? What are the GPs, what is their background. And if possible do some back channel referencing on your own, either through linkedin or leverage recruiters.

In my opinion, people on WSO are used to inflated PE Associate numbers coming from the MF and UMM funds of the world. If you like the team, can be in a tier 3 city that you have ties to, and wouldn't mind spenidng more than 2 years in the city/at the firm, then 200k cash will allow you to likely live like a king, while having some carry upside. If things go south, I'd downside protect by making sure you're still making good cash to save for B school, the experience is good enough that you can lateral, or the firm/partners have a strong enough reputation to help you get into a good B school so you can pivot if needed.

TLDR, sounds like a good not great offer, but it's a small fund, so I don't know if you can expect that much more, especially given the geography.

Funniest

1) This is absolutely not representative of the average LMM or MM fund. $400k cash comp as a first year associate is comparable with the top paying UMM / MF programs. I’m not going to say your shop doesn’t pay this, but I will categorically disagree that “most” are anywhere near that… $200k-$250k all-in is typically what these shops pay.

2) You hiring?

I think it sounds about right. Keep in mind if you're in a t3 city your net might be very close to someone making a lot more but living somewhere with aggressive tax issues to deal with + cost of living. $200k in t3 takes you a lot further than $200k in SF or NYC...

On the carry, usually quite a few gotchas to it, read over everything carefully and don't be afraid to ask questions. I know a lot of people who really didn't even understand what they were signing up for around the carry end of their comp. Get answers to Qs in writing just so you have something you can refer back to later. In LMM there is no real "standard" around how carry works. Don't be worried about appearing dumb when asking questions, as it is usually quite complex. It's a good sign to ask smart questions.

Modi culpa incidunt accusamus omnis. Dolorum quia dolore quas quae eum quia non eos. Voluptatem sit aperiam vitae aspernatur necessitatibus a dolores. Esse ut aut odit odit. Assumenda dignissimos non voluptatem esse quibusdam tempora fugiat natus. Id dolorum et reprehenderit ea aspernatur vitae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”