The smartest reason why you shouldn't go into PE is if you don't want to work in PE. Otherwise, none. Go for it.

Lifestyle doesn't improve at junior levels, there's more stress (your fuck ups have bigger consequences) and many don't make VP - either through burnout or just not showing the necessary skills while an associate. If you're in IB and your group has good culture / WLB, there's a lot to be said for staying there - particularly if your bonus is 100% cash rather than partially in stock with vesting requirements. Unless you want to go to HF or stay in PE, I don't think 2 IB + 2 PE opens up many more doors than A2A in IB does. 

Most Helpful

The benefit PE VP has over IB VP is line of sight over time. PE VP is typically driving the process so sets timelines on when they want different deliverables from their associate / advisors on the deal etc, so short of an MD blowing up their weekend / evening plans with a last minute urgent request they can at least plan things. IB VP doesn't have this given it's driven by clients.

The benefit IB VP has is once a deal is closed they move onto the next one. They don't have a PortCo to manage, these can become very stressful if they're not performing / you're having issues with the management team etc. PE VP's name is against them, so they also have the stress of making sure they don't missing something in DD.  

This aside, I think this is somewhat missing the point of my original post. Many don't make VP in PE, either through burnout or not showing the necessary skills while an associate. If people are looking for a reason why to not go PE I think this is a pretty valid one as the main benefits of PE don't kick in until you make VP (ability to manage schedule, carry, more interesting work). Until then, it's arguably banking 2.0.

One thing to note if comparing lifestyle further up the chain, I think PE MDs have a lot more stress to deal with than IB MDs. I don't want to be a PE MD based on what I've seen from my boss and other MDs. Both have to worry about origination and closing deals, but most PE MDs also needs to worry about PortCos and fundraising on top of this.

Controversial

Because you didn't get an offer on-cycle and are trying to cope.

I know a lot of people in this situation wanting to convince themselves they didn't want it anyway, even though they'd take an offer if they actually got one. 

Easy—aside from not wanting to do that role, it often is trading two years of your life after a banking stint. Some are comfortable having no social life from 22-26, but I think that’s the sort of decision you can regret in the long run. Post IB, you likely have amazing corporate finance training and could go assist many companies or do many interesting high-paying roles with more balance, so adding the 2 years of PE is sorta a waste if you don’t plan on doing PE. Also, I think 2 years out of social life and not being in shape is ok, but 4 years is where you really might have done irreversible damage. Let’s say you had a great friend in college and you both moved to different cities. If you haven’t talked to him for 2 years then try to reconnect you likely can save that relationship, but 4 years—at that point you might just not be friends and the person has moved on. Similarly, if you didn’t exercise for 2 years you might be able to come back and be an active healthy person for the rest of your 20s, but 4 years of inactivity at 26 might make it really hard to get in great shape ever again. 

Overall, I think it depends what you want to do, but if you ask many people they will say PE isn’t conductive to entrepreneurship or working for a company, while IB very much is. Unless you wish to do private equity, you really are getting specialized expertise that likely isn’t that conductive to other roles, while working insane hours. Unpopular on this forum, but most the people I know who did PE seemed just incredibly lost in regards to life and what they wanted to get out of it as well as what their ideal career is.

Edit: additional very legitimate reason on a more economic side—the industry is overly mature and had massive tailwinds previously, which won’t be the case in the future. Multiple expansion is a direct result of interest rate cuts, if we think rates will go up over the next 10 years, asset prices will go down and borrowing costs will go up which will make the returns in that industry way worse than historically they have been. This will mean firms will underperform and the asset class in general will have less enthusiasm behind it which will make it harder to raise new funds, so a fund you work for could not raise a future fund, or if your plan is to raise your own fund it might be significantly harder in the future. Finally, underperformance will mean people are paid less which will make people in the industry more pissed off than they already are.

On your last point, interest rates were much higher 1980s, when PE and LBOs were just starting. Secondly, from 2000 to 2020 PE outperformed the Russell 2000 and S&P. I really don't think current market conditions are an indicator that PE firms will struggle in the future.

Sorry, can you clarify why PE isn't conducive to entrepreneurship or working for a company whilst IB is? 

PE you are running the whole process, you get to know how to manage consultants, lawyers, bankers, make strategic improvements to businesses, how to buy businesses, do add on M&A deals from the perspective of the company and how to sell businesses

IB you just advice on buying/selling the business...

Unless you mean 2 years of IB and out, I'm thinking you are talking about LT career in IB

I think a lot of your other points are v. valid but I'm having trouble with this one, happy to be corrected  

Yeah—more often than not this isn’t what you do in PE. It’s a common misconception. Generally the more operating focused work gets outsourced to operators or consultants. More often than not, the associate role ends up being more evaluation/ execution and process running or sourcing. Pretty sure Patrick has talked about this, aside from this being true based on the experience of my friends. IB is conductive for 3 reasons—1) you learn how to raise capital which is something you will likely need to do 2) you gain finance understanding to build out an operating model/ navigate cash management 3) you build speed in just general office skills

Has PE ever really been tested in a recession? Curious on studies regarding performance during 2008-2009. Regardless I think Banks would be the safer route if you have a pretty gloomy view on the economic environment. 

>For reference, the total number of US dollars in circulation today is ~$2tn.

There's close to $22 trillion in circulation. Only $2 trillion is in physical dollars and coins.

Array

For reference, the total number of US dollars in circulation today is ~$2tn.

There's close to $22 trillion in circulation. Only $2 trillion is in physical dollars and coins.

Array

Esse voluptatem quam incidunt hic voluptas perferendis. Ut velit repellat ipsam quae commodi quam quam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Private Equity

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Private Equity

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Private Equity

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (388) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (315) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”