Venture Debt in 2022 = adverse selection risk?

Testing a hypothesis here. I think we'll see carnage in VC, particularly in older vintage funds. A lot of startups won't be able to raise equity rounds and will die. Granted, there's still a lot of dry powder to be allocated. But in general VCs and non-traditional investors are more selective.

Enter Venture Debt funds as non-dilutive alternative to equity. I've heard from the street that deal flow is booming and fundraising is going better than VC. Sounds amazing, but what if the startups who need that funding are the worst capitalized ones i.e. adverse selection risk?

A big part of VD returns come from the equity kicker triggered in events like M&A, equity rounds etc. which can bump returns to >20% IRR. But if they don't materialize then you're just taking venture risk for 10-15% IRR or less.

Am I missing something? Thanks in advance for your contributions

Like the other commenter said — structured capital as an alternative to typical equity raises are more commonplace now for early stage businesses that don’t want to raise down-rounds.

The adverse selection problem we’re seeing in the market at the moment primarily applies to investing in equity. If you’re a not a capital efficient company with great metrics, you’re neither getting access to equity financing nor venture debt. On the other hand, if you’re a great startup you probably don’t want equity financing right now, but you’ll have good access to structured credit and avoid dilution🪜

Most Helpful

Nothing wrong with structured equity in VC but pure debt in the 10-14% PIK range is too low of a return profile for VC, even with warrants and a low LTV. I've seen some Venture Debt funds provide 10% LTVs to companies for a fixed 10-12% PIKloan over 2 years with no minimum MoC or prepay penalty. Lots of VC collateral now isn't that heathly so a 10% LTV could look more like 50% if you truly mark to market. I am currently buying equity in VC (direct secondaries) for 10-25% of last round so why would I want to take a 10% LTV to have capped returns and all the risk? I think it's a bullshit strategy.

Interesting. Following.

Heard SVB dominates this space.

Speaking of loans backed by ARR, what do you think about revenue-based financing? Any thoughts on which business model makes more sense (marketplace like Pipe vs. company investing its own capital like Wayflyer)?

Who would those be?

What are your thoughts on VD versus structured equity? The latter seems less controversial and maybe has more career stability.

Sint labore ab sint vitae adipisci id ut. Voluptatum non qui aperiam placeat fuga. Eaque nostrum molestias sint sit ut suscipit dolorem quia.

Ut dolores odio natus. Voluptates nostrum repellat et eaque optio. Ea est omnis nisi eum. Voluptatem quibusdam voluptatem magnam est et deleniti.

Illum ut vel praesentium voluptas. Molestias culpa aut quo quae nihil autem. Et cumque laboriosam et perspiciatis officiis molestiae. Laborum porro adipisci eveniet exercitationem. Et vel minus praesentium corporis molestias. Fuga eius quaerat perspiciatis velit error sunt.

Laboriosam incidunt debitis id aut eligendi non. Expedita minima maiores voluptatem eum atque. Nisi sequi amet et. Cupiditate dolores porro possimus quisquam.

Ut magni deserunt qui. Eius nobis magni laudantium vitae rem ab. Beatae est voluptas nostrum et quam soluta nostrum. Ab nobis aut ut ea molestias dolores vitae minima. Consequuntur molestiae saepe sunt sunt nihil.

Ea ipsa deserunt voluptatem consequuntur sit dicta corrupti voluptas. Nesciunt officia quibusdam quaerat distinctio. Ut voluptatem ipsum necessitatibus aut quo sed est.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”