Full time analyst 2021

I’m graduating in May 2021 from a target school. I’ve had a few internships in capital markets in top markets and top advisory firms. I’ve gotten five interviews so far at top REPE firms and REITs and have been rejected from all. 

One thing I’ve noticed throughout all interviews is that all interviewers have asked questions such as “how did you get into real estate/how are you so successful so far/where are you from?” along with telling me “we look for candidates with a strong education and great backgrounds/the culture of our firm is to get to know everyone, and their families”. My family is not in the real estate industry, and I feel like this may have been holding me back in my interviews.

Am I naive for thinking I could excel in this industry without family connections to offer?

yeah you are naive. it certainly gives you a leg up at certain types of firms/interviews, but don't sweat it. keep pumping and recognize that this is an extremely tough job market for anyone looking to break into a nice analyst role straight out of school. people with 1-2 years experience in these roles are being laid off right now, and you are competing with kids who graduated in May that still have yet to find a job. be thankful that you are still in school and can wait this one out a bit.

Thanks for your input. I see you're a current intern - does anyone who is in the industry have any input?

Piece of advice I would give would be to obtain any RE job you can in this market. If it's what you want to do, then great. If not, don't sweat it because any job right now is a good job - there are no bad options in this environment.

Take what you can get and try to recruit for your goal position after 6 months to a year. Firms will understand the situation.

Most Helpful

I'm also a senior at a target school and recruiting had been pretty rough on my end as well. I was able to score a few interviews but after a few rejections ended up taking a return offer I had from the past summer. As for the background question, you definitely don't need a family background in RE to pitch yourself well. I've been networking with some analysts/associates at some prominent REPE firms and most of them just enjoy real estate due to their interest in urban planning or the fact that its a tangible asset (although in an interview you should go beyond the typical "tangible asset" pitch). I haven't talked to that many firms but I'm surprised to hear that some firms directly mention caring about family background. Perhaps the firms are implying that they like to get to know the families of their workers but don't necessarily prioritize candidates with RE family backgrounds? 

Best of luck in your recruiting, I know it's tough but if its any consolation, the recruiting process for RE is pretty stretched out so you have a still have a lot of time to recruit for firms as the economic situation improves. I've personally seen some big name RE firms recruit for analysts even in late spring/summer so while stressful, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities opening up! 

Qui repellat nam impedit. Natus et ea et ut. Beatae magnam veritatis doloremque ex blanditiis voluptatem eos. Est exercitationem sit omnis quo sint. Beatae iste sed numquam vitae nesciunt perferendis. Quos vero impedit explicabo sit consequatur iste.

Modi odio nam quia consequuntur et. Fugiat illum ratione corrupti est officia. Ea quia aliquam recusandae corporis non numquam. Eum consequatur possimus et et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”