Phoenix Value-Add Multifamily in 2022

How are value-add investors evaluating new multifamily acquisitions in today's market? Specifically, what type of YOC figure are sponsors solving to and what assumptions are they using to get there?

The obvious tailwinds in Phoenix are the rapidly growing/diversifying economy and population growth, both of which contributed to nation leading rent growth and fueled massive amounts of investment into the region over the past 2+ years. In this timeframe, most multifamily properties in Phoenix/Tempe/Scottsdale/Glendale traded hands at least once and have been infused with CAPEX & fresh renovations. Today, class B & C properties are trading in the mid to low 4% caps and on very large deals sub 4%. There are very few, true "value-add" deals left (think same owner for the past 20 years).

Most would agree that the underlying fundamentals in Phoenix (mainly economy and population growth) will continue to have a positive impact on multifamily. However, major headwinds I see are 1. Rising interest rates impacting leverage and take-out loan test 2. Large new supply coming online (35,000 units under construction), and 3. Decreasing affordability for tenants in certain submarkets. Will rent growth be able to outpace these headwinds? 

Good point. The properties I buy and track closely are in the 10-40 unit range, and those are trading in the mid 4s. I don’t follow the 50+ unit deals as closely.

I work for a large developer in another state and primarily build office and mixed-use projects. I have syndicated a few smaller multifamily properties in Phoenix for personal investments. Wanted to hear how anyone that else investing in Phoenix is viewing the market.

Most Helpful

4% cap, that's market cap not true tax adjusted going in cap rate for Phoenix today.  You are buying 6 to 12 months ahead of current in-place assumptions with some aggressive 4-6% growth or you are using some bridge product.  Only 1031 buyers or syndications with OPM can make phoenix work today!  Add Blackstone.  Nothing is penciling in that market today for rational buyers.

People are doing deals, is everyone in AZ going to get wrecked if you buy today... Probably not, sure pricing is getting up there but so are rents. You are seeing the bigger players in the market move to the further out markets, and you are seeing older vintage properties really start to benefit from that max tax increase.

Sure new product is building for 300-400k per door, but you are getting fully stepped up on taxes on anything new built. It is happening in Vegas too, the going-in adjusted cap rates are about the same in AZ/NV as they are in FL/TX/NC but I would argue there is more upside in Phx. 

These deals aren't that out of line, but in a vaccume going in cap rates seem low.

Sed et qui facere omnis fugiat inventore consequatur. Possimus minima asperiores aut debitis dolorem laborum. Eligendi sed illum reiciendis sit ipsum. Ut tempore velit sint rem quasi. Atque rerum laudantium esse soluta rerum quo hic. Delectus rem qui voluptatum nemo quo qui. Nihil dolore ipsum et vero earum beatae iste.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”