Post MBA comp 2022/2023 update

There have been massive changes in the last 3 years so can we please get some clear numbers on VP1? Please post anonymously with fund size. My understanding is:

MF: 600-700 and 4-6m of carry is the range UMM is maybe 100k discount  I think?

Also what’s the annual scaling and years to principal promotion?
Thanks

Funniest

Lmao this shit reads so much like a VP post “let’s be crystal clear with these numbers”; “think there might be some noise in this data, can we scrub through and make sure we’re apples-to-apples”; 4 questions with responses to his own questions. Don’t worry about first year comp my friend, you’ll do great.

Most Helpful

I talked to a bunch of recruiters about this around this time last year, mainly more for MM firms, so I have a rough sense of where things are. Again this is all anecdotal, but its coming from verifiable sources. I think this is a classic case of WSO over-inflating comp. Yes, I'm sure there are some folks out there at big funds making $700k cash plus carry as a VP1, but that is the exception not the norm in my experience. Even at a UMM or top fund, I'd think that around the $500k mark for cash is a solid watermark with a few million in carry. Realistically, somewhere around $400k cash is probably where most MM firms will end up and that's assuming your'e in a tier 1 city. 

In non NY/SF cities, I think 300-400k cash is much more reasonable. PE salary bumps are always slow to follow banking and given where the economy is now, I think firms likely haven't adjusted quite as much or quite as quickly as folks think. If you went to your partner and said, hey, VPs at xyz BB bank are making $700k cash now, that's what you need to pay me, I'm sure they'd be happy to show you the door. As far as carry goes, it ranges all over but I think anywhere between $1-4M in carry dollars at work makes sense, probably $2-3M with decent fund performance over 10 years is how I would think about it. $5M feels like a lot, but maybe that's what they're paying at top MFs now.

Again this all assumes newly minted VP1s or post-MBA VP types of roles, 4-6 years of experience.

Edit: Last thing I'll add, if you really want decent comp figures and are actually in the industry, just call up a recruiter or schedule time to get in touch with them, give them an update on what you're thinking about (whether you're actually looking to leave or not) and then ask about where the comp ranges are. Always boggles my mind that folks spend so much time trying to figure it out via WSO. Getting accurate comp, especially in not tier 1 cities or for more niche funds, is a great use case for recruiters and gives you a good reason to get back in touch with them.

Pariatur rerum alias fuga consectetur dolor est eligendi. Ut dolores vitae repellendus unde dignissimos magni adipisci. Iusto omnis accusamus officiis sunt. Quo consequatur pariatur delectus labore perferendis. Autem necessitatibus nisi quae fugit eaque tempora et. Iure et repellendus voluptatibus ut fuga.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”