The Mandalorian:
I'm not sure if it will be harder or easier because a lot of moving parts (fewer jobs available, economy recovers, etc.)

Will be dependent on app #s, which a lot of experts expect to increase as job growth becomes stagnant. For internationals who can get out of their respective countries though, it may be easier as even less of them apply.

Luckily, I am an international in the US.

Jokes aside, it will be easier to get into school for the class entering in Fall 2020. There is too much uncertainty about how many admits actually make it class come August - this is mainly due to internationals (potentially) not being able to get a visa. Many top schools have extended their deadlines until June and from what I hear, are getting desperate.

Next year will probably be the opposite. As many people try to find shelter in a grad degree in difficult economic times, there is going to be a deluge of applications and it will be very tough to get in.

I agree with RussianBot - if you are able to apply NOW (R3 or any of the extensions) then you have a great shot. Adcoms at top programs are bracing to have to defer a substantial number of their international admits who aren't able to get visas. If you are in a position to show up in fall 2020 and graduate in 2022, you may be able to ride out the down economy.

Susan Cera Director of MBA Admissions Stratus Admissions Counseling - www.stratusadmissions.com FREE Profile Evaluation - www.stratusadmissions.com/consult

Have you heard anything about potential deferrals for domestic students? I got admitted to a top school and I’m concerned that it’ll start out online or not start at all. Also concerned about how recruiting will play out given that banking and consulting recruiting start so early.

I have not heard that programs are offering to defer entry for US candidates. Historically, the only reasons that deferrals would be granted would be if the admitted applicant couldn't get a visa or if there was a health issue. If you want to defer, you may be asked to reapply.

Susan Cera Director of MBA Admissions Stratus Admissions Counseling - www.stratusadmissions.com FREE Profile Evaluation - www.stratusadmissions.com/consult

Hi Susan, thanks for the insight. What do you mean by "great shot"? I know historically Round 3 acceptance rates are far lower than Round 1. Would you say applying Round 3/extension NOW will have about the same or better chance than applying Round 1 for fall 21 matriculation?

Note: I've been planning to apply Round 1 for 2021 entry for about 3 years now and am worried that my opportunity window has closed.

The tables have turned and Round 3 will offer great opportunities for solid applicants who may have intended to apply in the fall. If international applicants are unable to get visas then the programs will still want to fill the seats with folks who are able to arrive. CBS, which typically has 45%+ international students, has extended it's deadline through June 1 so they can capture applicants who may have been looking to apply next year. See the free consult link below and I'm glad to discuss your situation. As with everything in MBA applications, it depends.

Most Helpful

Here's what we sent out earlier this week:

As the world is facing great uncertainty and things are changing day to day, so is the 2019-2020 MBA admissions cycle. Now, MBA admissions committees are working diligently to respond, preparing for the possibility that many international students may be unable to get visas and be present on the first day of classes this fall. While this may surprise you, this means that in the 15 years that I’ve been involved in MBA admissions, there has never been a better time to submit a Round 3 (or even Round 4) application.

Let’s do some math here. Consider Columbia Business School (CBS) with an August entry cohort of ~550 which is typically comprised of ~45% international students. If one quarter of the international students can’t get their student visas, CBS might be looking to fill ~60 seats that will be left vacant by students who need to defer for a year.

Many top MBA programs have extended their Round 3 deadlines, introduced additional rounds or rolling admissions after Round 3 and/or are offering flexibility with respect to timing for submitting test scores.

While there are a lot of unknowns across all aspects of life right now, there is one thing that I know for certain. If you don’t apply to your dream MBA program, you WILL NOT be accepted. Here are five reasons you should consider applying in Round 3.

You Came up Empty Handed in Rounds 1 and 2. Perhaps you shot for the stars in Rounds 1 and 2 and don’t have an acceptance letter in hand. While there will likely be a lot of wait list movement in the months to come, wouldn’t you like to KNOW that you can be heading to business school this fall? What were the next schools on your list?

You Are Already Planning to Apply This Fall. If you have your target test score and have started figuring out your strategy to apply later this year, it might make sense to accelerate your timeline. Why wait until December to find out if you might be starting a program in the summer of 2021? You could be sitting in class before you even thought you would submit your applications.

**You are Uncertain About Your Job. **With unemployment applications at an all-time high, everyone is wondering if their position and paycheck will be secure in the weeks and months to come. If you aren’t sure where you stand, maybe it makes sense to apply to business school now. Being a student during a down economy is a great way to "ride out" a recession and re-emerge with enhanced skills, knowledge and a broader and deeper network.

**You Have Test Anxiety. **I’ve worked with many clients who perform incredibly well on practice tests only to freeze up when they enter a testing center. Both ETS and GMAC are working toward flexible testing options which should be available in April. Imagine taking the GMAT or GRE from the comfort of your own home. This may be just what it takes to get the score you KNOW you are capable of. Furthermore, many MBA programs have extended the testing deadline to accommodate applicants whose testing plans have been disrupted.

**You Weren’t Able to Visit Schools. **You may have thought that it didn’t make sense to submit applications until you set foot on campus. Since most campuses are closed, you are not as disadvantaged as in other years for not having sat in on classes or gone on a tour. Many programs have switched gears very quickly and are offering online information sessions, chats with students and virtual tours. Now you can do your research from the comfort of your own couch.

There are many candidates for whom Round 3 applications make sense. Others may not be quite ready. Not sure if applying in Round 3 is right for you? Reach out for a FREE consultation to discuss your profile and the best next steps for you on your MBA application journey.

Wash your hands. Keep a safe distance from others. Be kind. Stay healthy.

There are two signs that admissions may be easier in Round 3 for 2020 admissions:

1. Many schools have extended deadlines (to hedge against the risk that international students cannot get student Visas issued in time)

2. Across our client group, we have seen a larger than average number of US domestic applicants (i.e., ones who can enroll without any Visa contingencies) being admitted from waitlists, including some students with stats that are relatively weak compared to school averages. One client even received merit-based financial aid, which is unusual when being admitted from a waitlist.

For 2020 submissions / 2021 enrollment, we are seeing a moderately higher number of inquiries already, with the largest bumps coming on the first days of the stock market declines.

The second risk factor is that international admits for 2020 enrollment are likely to be offered deferrals to 2021 enrollment if Visas cannot be issued in time, which could reduce the number of seats available to international applicants in the new cycle.

David White Founding Partner, Menlo Coaching (MBA admissions consulting)

We're also recommending to clients that if they are in any way ready to apply now, they should apply for the extended deadlines. Schools are worried that internationals will not be able to attend and they want to fill their classes.

For more on this:

Regarding the 20-21 application cycle, I think competition will intensify with the coming recession. Exactly when and how much, I can't say, but I believe there is real opportunity here for MBA applicants who apply now to get into schools they couldn't have gotten into before (note Kellogg's willingness to reconsider rejected applicants who appeal) and will not be able to get into next year of after. No guarantees, but that's how I see it.

If you want to get a sense of your readiness to apply, check out the new MBA Admissions Calculator. .

Best, Linda

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

I'm not in PE. I just work for a reputable PE portfolio company. I thought the company would have more inorganic growth, so took the role over an IB analyst role at mediocre firm because pay was on par and my boss is super cool. However, capital dried up and the market went to shit, so didn't get the corp. dev. exp. I expected. I came from 2 years in corp. banking. I guess I need to change my position title, not sure if they have an option that reflects my role.

The school was offering it because of the covid. I got approved for an exception, but they said it's a case by case decision. My guess is they need to fill spots obviously and the testing centers are closed. My undergrad gpa was 3.5 from non-target; however, I took a ridiculous amount of finance courses (i think like ~60 finance hrs + 12 hrs accounting and 12 hrs economics). Every single elective I took was a finance class and I took finance communication intensive courses instead of speech classes, so maybe my transcripts helped. I think my financial background may have helped as well, but Idk how they decided. I haven't even got admitted yet, so it may turn out it doesn't matter.

Magni commodi tempore quidem dolore qui libero. Et enim voluptatem fuga molestiae eum quia. Eos laboriosam voluptatem omnis minus ipsam voluptate quae.

Enim repellat dolor voluptates et et porro. Quibusdam consequatur iure voluptas vel. Unde necessitatibus tempore occaecati nostrum magni. Est quidem quis nobis rem accusamus. Neque cupiditate quia id enim magni accusamus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”