According to Wikileaks, from 2007 to 2009, US officials believed that Saudi Arabia overstated its oil reserves by about 40%

According to Wikileaks, from 2007 to 2009, US officials believed that Saudi Arabia overstated its oil reserves by about 40% or 300B barrels - Guardian-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/08/sa…

www.gamblerdaily.com

I don't ask you to believe you in this. Not to be mean, but whether you believe you in it or not makes no difference to me... I don't know if I believe it neither. Until anyone disprove it, there is always a possibility this is true. And traders need to be prepared for those kinda of event...

Nothing new!

Read 'Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Arabia Oil Shock and the World Economy' by Simmons. And yes this guy is the founder of Simmons & Co.

'Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things.'

mxc:
It is a well-known fact that OPEC countries overstate their reserves to increase production.

According to who, exactly? I go to school and I am close friends with the direct grand daughter of one of the gulf oil ministers, and I know the minister well. It's just rumours man. Cant you just let it die?

Greed is Good.

konig:
mxc:
It is a well-known fact that OPEC countries overstate their reserves to increase production.

According to who, exactly? I go to school and I am close friends with the direct grand daughter of one of the gulf oil ministers, and I know the minister well. It's just rumours man. Cant you just let it die?

http://www.ipc66.com/publications/IS_World_Oil_Reserves.pdf Page 8, we just don't feel comfortable with you guys reporting more oil when you aren't opening new fields. Sure, the extraction technology is improving, so recoverable should be going up and this report may be a red herring, but you have to understand that we don't have the same trust in your ministers that you do.

konig:
Oh the minister is a friend of yours... Obviously you're in the know.

My source are academic. I tend to believe petroleum engineering experts more than Gulf oil officials who have a clear interest in overstating their reserves.

Maybe its just me but it seems like an overstatement wouldnt help opec countries in anyway. I feel that the only ones who would really benefit from this are consumer nations. It just baffles me that any producer would overstate their reserves. For one i would understate my reserves, yea its market manipulation but isnt overstating market manipulation as well?

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Overstating is an issue, but over production more so. Oil wells are almost human. You can get more production out of them, but you damage them. Basically taking more upfront, but getting less over the life.

I understand that they have production quotas based on reserve, but im talking in the terms of market prices. I know its cliche but its simple supply and demand. Say you have 100 billion barrles of oil reserves, if you over state that by 10% you apper to have more oil and that would drive the price down if demand is constant. If you understate it by the same percentage you would dirve the price up in a stable demand situation. Yes its a overly basic example and it doesnt reflect the real world in any way but the general principal is there.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

heister:
I understand that they have production quotas based on reserve, but im talking in the terms of market prices. I know its cliche but its simple supply and demand. Say you have 100 billion barrles of oil reserves, if you over state that by 10% you apper to have more oil and that would drive the price down if demand is constant. If you understate it by the same percentage you would dirve the price up in a stable demand situation. Yes its a overly basic example and it doesnt reflect the real world in any way but the general principal is there.

You're applying a monopoly principle to an oligopoly. If one player overstates they benefit by being able to pump more oil at a price above what would be available by increasing the quota. That makes it a soft way to break collusion without actually admitting to pumping more than your allowed reserve % and getting kicked out.

subjective arguements are worthless in a case like this. We don't trust the fat white men that make your policies either, but do you see us bitching about it?

If you could name ONE field as strangely large and limitless as Ghawar (The main field), then I will give up my arguement completely. Theres nothing like it. for fuck's sake they haven't even discovered where the bottom is or how far away it is, and they are developing and using the most advanced technology. No need for all of this fear mongering.

Greed is Good.

Best Response

The term "reserves" is almost meaningless.

When you talk about "reserves", there are Proved, Probable, and Possible reserves... you can also talk about economically recoverable, technically recoverable, and reserves in-place, and all this is determined by probability curves. So the fact that the Saudis are "overstating reserves" tells me very little.

Typically there is a lot more oil in the ground than what is stated by the proved reserves figure. Again, it all comes down to statistics and probability. So if someone overstates proved reserves by 40%, that doesn't mean the oil isn't there... it might just be harder/more expensive to recover, or the technology may not be there yet to do so. Prices and technologies change over time, though, so the probability curves will change, as well as the definition of how much of the oil is technically recoverable, economically recoverable, etc...

Wall Street leaders now understand that they made a mistake, one born of their innocent and trusting nature. They trusted ordinary Americans to behave more responsibly than they themselves ever would, and these ordinary Americans betrayed their trust.

Sunt temporibus accusantium cum qui consequatur rerum. Aliquid doloremque officiis veniam sapiente provident magnam.

Molestiae dolorem quis harum praesentium libero officia. Consectetur vero qui commodi doloremque et doloremque accusantium. Ea vitae unde quia velit consequatur dicta beatae. Eum nemo repellendus quia. Qui quos accusantium recusandae possimus placeat. Ea atque consequatur id dolorem praesentium amet voluptas.

Praesentium quo perspiciatis aut quam atque ut consectetur fuga. Dolorem consequatur et occaecati sit.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Natus est sit quos in omnis aut necessitatibus. Maxime cumque a a deserunt voluptatem perferendis. Enim non dolor explicabo impedit. Reprehenderit omnis impedit numquam odio ducimus qui hic reiciendis. Quas assumenda at corrupti aliquid repudiandae.

Perspiciatis quidem nostrum aut corrupti. Sequi nemo est qui vel rerum expedita et voluptatum. Aut optio dicta aut veritatis rerum. Ex adipisci officia quibusdam aliquam excepturi adipisci dicta. Modi hic eum totam nam voluptatem non.

Eaque dolores tenetur qui eveniet. Dicta est sit porro voluptas ducimus. Nihil sit perspiciatis perspiciatis tempora facilis sed. Quos sequi vel magni nisi eum. Nemo et unde vitae omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”