Byron Wien's 2011 Predictions

Byron Wien, vice chairman of Blackstone Advisory Services, issued his 10 surprises for 2011. If you remember, I posted his 2010 picks here last year.

While I realize that predictions are just that - predictions, I still admire anyone who can put in print their thoughts on a wide range of asset classes for the year ahead. What are your thoughts?

The Surprises of 2011
1. The continuation of the Bush tax cuts coupled with the extension of unemployment benefits has put all working Americans in a better mood. Real Gross Domestic Product rises close to 5% in 2011 driven by improved trade and capital spending in addition to stronger retail sales. Unemployment drops below 9%.

2.      The prospect of increasing Federal budget deficits and rising government debt finally begins to weigh on the bond market. The yield on the 10-year U.S. Treasury approaches 5% as foreign investors become more demanding. Spreads with <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/trading-investing/fixed-income-securities">corporate fixed income securities</a></span> narrow.

3.      Encouraged by renewed economic momentum the Standard &amp; Poor’s 500 rises close to its old high of 1500. A broad range of sectors participate, but telecommunications and utilities lag. With earnings improving, valuations seem low and individual investors return to equities for the first time <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/finance/financial-crisis">since the financial crisis</a></span>. <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/deals/merger" target="_blank">Merger and acquisition</a></span> activity becomes intense and the market reaches a blow-off euphoria. Stocks correct in the second half as interest rates rise.

4.      Although inflation remains benign, the price of gold rises above $1600 as investors across the world place more of their assets in something they consider “real.” Sovereign wealth funds of countries with significant dollar reserves also become big buyers. Hedge funds keep thinking the price rise is becoming parabolic and sell their positions and some even short the metal but gold keeps climbing and they scramble back in.

5.      Worried about inflation and excessive growth, the Chinese decide to use their <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/economics/currency" target="_blank">currency</a></span> as a policy tool. They manage the value of the renminbi aggressively to keep the growth of the <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/economics/economy" target="_blank">economy below 10</a></span>% and to prevent consumer prices from increasing above the 4%–5% range. The move is viewed as a precursor to the world-wide adoption of a basket including the renminbi as an alternative to the use of the dollar as the principal reserve currency.

6.      Rising standards of living in the developing world seriously increase the demand for agricultural commodities. The price of corn rises to $8.00, wheat to $10.00 and soybeans to $16.00. Commodities become a component of more institutional portfolios.

7.      The housing situation improves. Although the inventory of unsold homes remains high, the oversupply is drawn down substantially, contrasting with an increase in 2010. The Case-Shiller gradually heads higher and housing starts exceed 600,000.

8.      Continuing demand from the developing world and a failure to bring onstream new supply causes the price of oil to rise to $115 per barrel. The higher price at the pump fails to discourage driving, increase sales of hybrid vehicles or cause Congress to initiate conservation measures.

9.      Frustrated by the lack of progress against the Taliban and the corruption of the Karzai government, President Obama concludes that whenever American troops return home, Afghanistan will once again become a tribal state ruled by warlords. He accelerates the withdrawal of most military personnel to the end of 2011. Coupled with the pullout of forces in Iraq, this will leave the Middle East without a major Western presence in the face of rising fears of terrorism.

10.         Under duress Angela Merkel leads the way in European financial reform. The weaker countries, having pledged to cut their budget deficits in half by 2014, are provided additional transitional aid by the <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/economics/european-union-eu">European Union</a></span> (with Germany’s backing) and the <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/economics/international-monetary-fund-imf">International Monetary Fund as</a></span> long as they implement their austerity programs, increase some taxes and still show modest growth. The European financial crisis becomes less of a concern. The policies put in place prove psychologically satisfying to the <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/trading-investing/financial-markets">financial markets</a></span> but harmful in the longer term because they are palliative and do not represent solutions.

“ALSO RANS”

11.         While Afghanistan and Iraq cool down as trouble spots, Pakistan and North Korea flare up. The former continues to be a troublesome breeding ground for terrorists and the latter initiates further hostile attacks on South Korea. China does not become involved in a major way and the international community seems helpless.

12.         The broad international sanctions on Iran finally begin to work. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad enters into negotiations to scale back the country’s nuclear weapons development program in exchange for financial <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/economics/foreign-investment">aid and foreign investment</a></span>. Pressure from the country’s youth to provide more economic opportunity is the key factor in the change in policy. Talk about bombing by Israel or the U.S. subsides.

13.         Rising interest rates and a strong economy allow the dollar to strengthen against the euro and the yen. Although the European financial crisis abates as austerity programs and higher taxes are put in place and Japan avoids falling back into recession, America becomes the developed market of choice for global investors.

14.         Sarah Palin announces she will seek the Republican nomination for President amidst the cheers of Tea Party supporters. More moderate Republicans fear her candidacy will diminish the chances of their party winning in 2012 and try to blunt her efforts. Rick Perry, governor of Texas becomes a contender. Mike <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/data/bloomberg">Bloomberg</a></span> is mentioned. On the Democratic side, liberals feel Obama has betrayed them and desperately try to find a challenger. With the economy improving the prospect of a second term for Obama becomes more likely.

15.         The Russian government decides it is the laggard of the <span class='keyword_link'><a href="/resources/skills/economics/emerging-markets">emerging markets</a></span> and steps up its efforts to become more investor friendly. The Kremlin agrees to further nuclear weapons reduction and provides assurance to companies willing to invest there that the rule of law will prevail. The Russian equity market soars.

16.         Laws related to marijuana usage are liberalized in more states. Recognizing that the drug may not be addictive, the public’s attitudes have evolved over the last thirty years, and this, along with a desire to alleviate the over-crowding of jails, causes state legislatures to take a more liberal position. Drug abuse groups are outraged.

17.         Infrastructure problems in the United State become serious. New York subways are inoperative for days as a result of an electrical problem in the signal system. Gridlock snarls Los Angeles freeways, and to encourage cooperative commuting, high-occupancy vehicles are required to <span class="keyword_link"><a href="//www.wallstreetoasis.com/finance-dictionary/what-is-carry">carry</a></span> three or more people. State and local governments complain they lack the funds to deal with the problems and Washington refuses to help.

18.         A major state fails to pay interest on a municipal bond issue because of a lack of funds, causing havoc in the municipal bond market.

19.         In spite of fears of tenth anniversary terrorist attacks, 9/11/11 becomes a peaceful non-event because of excellent intelligence and surveillance.

20.         While climate change activists remain shrill, the issue recedes in importance in the United States. Cold weather prevails during the winter and the summer heat is not oppressive. Support increases for a broader use of natural gas by utilities and public transportation and its price rises to $6.00 per mcf. In Europe and Asia however, environmental initiatives continue to move ahead. 

Feeling pretty smart being short munis.

Have to say that I'm a little confused though - he seems to be predicting increased deficits and trouble for the dollar, failing infrastructure, and municipal bond default, higher commodity prices, slowing Chinese economy. So far so good....but doesn't this affect US GDP and the equity markets? There's a disconnect in there somewhere. I feel that all of your predictions have to sync up unless you sprinkle in a few caveats.

I really like the general direction in most of these predictions with a few caveats. 1. 5% real GDP growth is pretty beastly, especially if yields are at 5%. 2. The housing prediction is probably 50/50 at best, I think the market overshooting is a more likely scenario. 3. The Dems looking for an alternative to Obama? Not in a million years. 4. Fingers crossed on the MJ issue. 5. The NY subway prediction is way too specific, but that's likely to happen somewhere this year (maybe just a few lines or something). 6. $6 natty? Maybe because the winter turns beastly cold but a secular increase in demand could be a long time in the making.

You know.... I'm going to be the first to say I'm going to take all of Weins predictions, and short them all.

Wein's track record for 2010 - 0/10. I doubt he'll do much better in 2011, going 1/10 if that. Now, I realize that these predictions are made at the start of the year, but still, his calls were so far off base that it wasn't even funny...

Consider that before you look at his suggestions and take them all with a great of salt.

Frieds:
You know.... I'm going to be the first to say I'm going to take all of Weins predictions, and short them all.

Wein's track record for 2010 - 0/10. I doubt he'll do much better in 2011, going 1/10 if that. Now, I realize that these predictions are made at the start of the year, but still, his calls were so far off base that it wasn't even funny...

Consider that before you look at his suggestions and take them all with a great of salt.

Amen.

Best Response

qwerty, here you go. There's his 2010 Predictions

This guy may be wrong, but as BSB said, he put his money where his mouth is and put his comments out there for everyone to see. I am willing to short his calls for 2011, but I also don't agree with his calls to begin with. I didn't agree with his calls for 2010 either, but I understand the rational behind his decisions. I think his calls are off base from where they should be, but I also haven't seen much proof to validate that we are truely out of the recession, having been bearish and burned by my own sentiment in the past.

I would not be calling Wien a moron at all. The guy's smart as hell. Not to drink the kool-aid, but he's got a lengthy history on the street. He's the Vice Chariman at Blackstone, was an MD and Chief Investment Strategist at Pequote Capital Management, Senior Investment Strategist at Morgan Stanley and worked for 20+ years as a Porfolio Manager. I'd give this guy some serious credit where credit is due.

I'd rather see Tony James' predictions. Interesting they have their advisory head, rather than any of their different asset managers.

There have been many great comebacks throughout history. Jesus was dead but then came back as an all-powerful God-Zombie.

By all means have those outlooks going into the year, but its not the same as putting a position on...where you can manage the risk and change your mind....and still come out profitable. Once those statements are made you are locked in...this guy didnt make his money trading on a daily basis clearly.

Et eveniet voluptatem esse molestiae et. Numquam earum tenetur nobis similique itaque dolor aut. Ut maxime consectetur et quisquam sit laudantium esse dolorem. Dolor mollitia ex eveniet quo magnam. Ut eum in officia maxime eveniet.

Corrupti consequatur rem ex quibusdam. Vel dicta quam dolorem ducimus. Minus voluptatibus quae et voluptates. Fugit animi rem consectetur ex et iusto. Et esse ut fugit qui maiores. Illum praesentium laudantium et dolore recusandae blanditiis sed in. Placeat similique deleniti ut dicta eius omnis fugit ex.

Sit blanditiis iste asperiores dolor optio quo. Optio dolorem sed architecto quae fugiat deleniti.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”