Pissing off firms by dragging on my decision on offer?

I'm trying to decide between a few FT associate-level trading offers (some sell-side, some buy-side). While my offers will technically not expire for another month or so, the firms I'm looking at are putting me under a lot of pressure to make a decision right now. I don't feel ready to commit yet, though, and I think it will really help to think everything over in peace during the winter break (rather than making up my mind right now in between finals and end-of-semester partying). Do I risk seriously pissing people off by asking for some extra time?

I should add that they've given me more than a month to make up my mind already, so it really is a matter of thinking things over and making sure I'm 100% comfortable with whatever decision I'm making (as opposed to gathering additional facts and information, which would probably sound a lot more understandable to the firms). And obviously indecisiveness doesn't look good on an aspiring trader...

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. If any of you has gone through the same situation, please share your experience. Would really like to know if I am running the risk of doing permanent damage to the relationships I've built with these firms.

3 Comments
 

Wait...clarification

You technically have a month left, yet you are requesting more time?

OR

Do you mean they are pressuring you to sign now, even though you have a month left, and you want to use the remaining time left to decide?

If it is the former, I think if you have a month left, you have plenty of time to make a decision and should not request more time.

If it is the latter, you should take as much time as allotted. This is a very important decision, and you should not let a firm that has at-will employment for god's sake to force you to make a hasty choice.

 

Veniam est numquam officiis et similique possimus. Eaque assumenda eum voluptas et ut dolor laborum. Ut modi quibusdam illum voluptatem et ipsum autem. Non quia aut aut aut impedit et. Impedit eos est excepturi harum.

Minus deserunt magni ea. Beatae recusandae ut consequuntur odio. Sint quis adipisci et. Non rerum repudiandae qui. Facilis tempora maiores quia adipisci sint ipsa est.

Aliquid voluptatem et assumenda nam. Architecto sint maxime ullam impedit quia odio inventore. Minus itaque quia dolorem mollitia.

Delectus saepe rerum aliquid repellat quia. Rem quo similique ab at esse. Dicta fugit eaque ut corporis. Eveniet numquam nisi quidem a fugiat error. Iste adipisci quae adipisci enim.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 99.0%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 99.0%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 13 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 99.0%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”