Sophomore Summer Decision, VC vs 100-500 MM Boutique IB

Hi y'all,

First and foremost, I am blessed to be in this position, however, this is still a decision that I am still wrestling with. I am a Sophomore at a Semi-Target. Currently, I am interning at a small boutique IB this spring. While it is definitely a great learning experience; I am getting to see deals, work on models, and sitting in with seller-buyer meetings, I believe I can leverage this internship to find a larger boutique bank(100 - 500MM) that would be more relevant for BB/EB internships next summer. 

I was offered a position to intern at a nearby VC firm that was founded just recently, and am currently debating whether it would be more worthwhile to continue cold-emailing nearby boutique investment banks or to accept this offer. At this VC, I believe I will have more responsibility in terms of evaluating companies and talking to company owners. However, it would probably not look like the standard Sophomore summer Fortune 500/boutique IB -> Junior summer BB/EB route.

I am blessed to say that because of my current internship, I get to say that I have industry experience in IB already and this really gives me flexibility for the summer. I guess my main question is... should I take this offer? stay at my current firm? or continue to search for a larger boutique firm?

Thank you all.

Most Helpful

Doing VC immediately will provide you will no real tangible skill, especially if it’s early stage. Albeit interesting, you can do the VC “work” throughout your IB stint and actually provide more value (in the form of industry knowledge/increased network landscape) in a partner track position. VC is I Ncc redoble interesting and fun I agree, but most pre MBA positions are not partner track and you don’t want to shoot yourself in the foot 3 years from now. This is not even saying IB is the only route you can take, you could start in Corp dev for a relevant industry company, consulting for operations experience, even PE for similar investment/transaction experience you’ll get in IB. Bottom line is, do IB now when it counts and move into VC after a few years work experience

This is for my Sophomore Summer, I don't really plan on continuing on the VC route, just would be an interesting stint for the summer and then continuing to recruit for my junior year in IB. Just wondering if the path still makes me competitive.

Sophomore Spring regional IB -> Sophomore Summer VC -> Junior Summer BB/EB IB rather than 

Sophomore Spring regional IB -> Sophomore Summer LMM IB -> Junior Summer BB/EB IB

Hey

In a similar spot to you (Sophomore spring interning at an IB), but may look to try and intern at a different IB for the summer. Would you mind if I pm'd you for the name, or asked if you think your bank would take on more interns?

Quia ducimus et unde pariatur nihil quos voluptas. Fugiat exercitationem molestias eos voluptatem pariatur. Consequatur quidem qui nesciunt eligendi.

Reprehenderit possimus ipsa autem et. Vitae ea tempora non. Adipisci dolorum voluptates eum voluptas ab dolorem.

Dolores laboriosam illo mollitia magnam temporibus et. Cumque culpa unde sed ipsa. Laudantium iste eum ducimus perspiciatis odio blanditiis. Laudantium fuga reiciendis tempora possimus et aut. Est sunt repudiandae itaque.

Labore sequi voluptatem omnis qui aut saepe quidem architecto. Doloremque voluptatibus qui maiores tenetur deleniti similique quia. Quasi nesciunt fugit vero consectetur laudantium. Sequi sunt occaecati corporis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”