140% return in 4 Months!

I've been working on an equity/commodity derivatives strategy that has been working very very well. I started with 5K in my paper account about 4 months ago, and it's up to 12K, and I haven't had a loss on a position yet. The strategy is scalable up to about a 1MM portfolio before liquidity becomes an issue.

Here's my question. Are there companies/people who back people's trading strategies in exchange for profit sharing? If so, how do I find them?

If I can find someone to back my strategy with $1MM of capital, I will happily quit my job tomorrow, and I'll be able to earn mid 6 figures working 30 or so hours a week doing something I absolutely love.

I would only need the backer for 3-4 years or so before I acquire enough capital to do it on my own.

Any advice/opinions are appreciated.

Best Response

And what's your volatility been? Why is your strategy special? That's a really, really, really small market you must be trading if liquidity is an issue at a million dollars AUM.

Also, don't underestimate how different it is to trade real money versus paper. See what it's like to lose $10K+ of your own money in one day and see how you react. That's the hardest thing about investing/trading imo.

You might have family/friends that give you a few hundred K, but it's actually really hard to raise capital for a new fund (take it from me, I would know, lol).

I have about 15K saved up. The problem is I'm not allowed to have a brokerage account because of my work. And I can't live off of the returns I generate from the 20K. I will need to save up about 500K before I feel comfortable quitting work to do this, which will probably take me like 10 years.

I also do know what it's like to trade real money. I turned 10K to 22K in a year with a less refined version of this strategy when I was a student.

And yes, it's a small market that I'm trading in. The strategy is not that special because I don't know how to scale it up so that I can make serious money.

-MBP

IlliniProgrammer:
Yes. Congrats on pulling this off in your PA, but I don't think anybody is going to stake you right away.

In any case, if you can get a 140% return in 4 months and keep repeating that over and over again, you should be able to go from $6K to about $1 Mil in five years? Why not just be a little patient?

Because I can't trade for real while I'm working here, and because I can't sustain the same rate of return when I have more money. I am confident though that I can return 50-60% with 1MM dollars. And that is something I can definitely live off.

-MBP

HFFBALLfan123:
Quit your job, i'll match what you put in and we can both be millionaires....and i won't quit

In that case, I'll call you up when I've saved a couple hundred grand. Matching my 15K right now won't do me any good. lol

-MBP

HFFBALLfan123:
Well if you could really get 420% a year then 30K would be 126 after a year, then 529k after 2... suck it up and live poor till i'm rich off of your coat tails...

Done, but while I'm working hard at making you millions, can you cover my rent, groceries, and student loan payments?

-MBP

Yeah Dibbs, I must be a troll because I claim that I'm a good trader. News flash: making money on small capital isnt hard. Producing 20%+ returns on a several billion dollar portfolio, however, is.

Lol,thanks Alex. I understand how compound growth works. I just can't put that 15k to use while I'm employed. If I wasn't married, I would quit right now and just do it on my own.

-MBP

I recommend looking into incubator hedge funds to establish some sort of track record. Even if you don't have a lot of money tied up in it, it will still be a much easier sell than what you have done with a paper account.

EDIT: You will need at least $25,000 of your own cash to invest in order to start an incubator fund. However, $100,000-$500,000 would be a more realistic number, if you are trying to attract serious investors.

Men are so simple and so much inclined to obey immediate needs that a deceiver will never lack victims for his deceptions. -Niccolo Machiavelli

alexpasch:
^^^^Yeah I don't see how you can't get away with doing this if you really wanted to (I don't know what law/policy is preventing you from doing it). Think outside the box.

Independece policy covers my wife as well. And I don't have anyone else I can trust to execute my trades without screwing up.

Can you give me some out of the box ideas? If you can, you'll be solving all my problems.

-MBP

Bondarb:
if you really are confident in those returns just max out a couple of credit cards to pay rent while ur trading. Even the massive interest on credit card debt doesnt match your return so you should be in good shape. Please do this and post regularly to let us know how its going.

The more I think about it, the more seriously I'm considering doing this. I'm thinking of asking my dad to spot me for the living expenses for a few months as a loan. Unfortunately, this is a very difficult, potentially life altering decision, and I need my wife to be on board as well. I don't know how comfortable she will be with me throwing away a 6 figure job and a pretty promising career, just because I believe I can succeed at something so many others fail miserably at.

-MBP

JSinNOLA:
Max drawdown on open positions? Sharpe ratio? Otherwise 140% means next to nothing.

Link to track record?

Oh please. You and I both know that's bullshit. 140% over 4 months by itself means a lot. It's not like I just put all my money in one lucky penny stock that shot up. I've put on over 20 trades with the same strategy over 4 months, and once again, have not closed a single trade at a loss.

My unrealized PnL on each trade has never been less than -10%, and my 4 month vol is about 30%. That's a Sharpe ratio of almost 5, which is excellent by any standard.

-MBP

manbearpig:
JSinNOLA:
Max drawdown on open positions? Sharpe ratio? Otherwise 140% means next to nothing.

Link to track record?

Oh please. You and I both know that's bullshit. 140% over 4 months by itself means a lot. It's not like I just put all my money in one lucky penny stock that shot up. I've put on over 20 trades with the same strategy over 4 months, and once again, have not closed a single trade at a loss.

My unrealized PnL on each trade has never been less than -10%, and my 4 month vol is about 30%. That's a Sharpe ratio of almost 5, which is excellent by any standard.

Your response to my post is telling enough. Again, 1% or 1000%, it doesn't matter without CONTEXT.

I want to know how big a loss you will tolerate on an open position. What happens when an open position is down 1%, 10%, etc... And how OFTEN does that happen?

You've lost your mind or never had one to begin with if you think that HOW one gets to ANY return doesn't matter.

Ben Shalom Bernanke:
I'd have to see a track record as well ManBearPig. Never even had a loser? That sounds funny to me, so I'd have to see it to believe it.

It depends on how you define loser. Each one of my trades consists of multiple transactions in different securities. Some transactions have resulted in losses, but they are more than offset by the rest of the transactions.

I'm going to think long and hard about this over the next few weeks, and I might seriously take some of you guys up on these offers.

-MBP

derivstrading:
Paper trading doesn't take into account slippage or transaction costs.

Also 4 months is too short of a time frame, how would your strategy fare if market conditions changed?

You're right about that. I've been adjusting for transaction costs myself. I didn't account for slippage though. Is there a simple adjustment methodology I can apply? Like, say on average, 5% of my profits on each trade will be eroded by slippage? I can make the adjustment if it's something simple like that.

The strategy is market neutral btw. But you're right, 4 months is very short.

-MBP

i think that if you really believe in this you should go for it, because if you don't then all your going to be thinking about is what if.. what if what if.. which I doubt is something that you want to be thinking about.

Although it's going to be difficult at first for your wife to support you she will come around if she really does trust you.

But good luck either way in whatever choice you make.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Can someone please comment on the legal structure I would need to put in place to manage this money on behalf of you guys? I know it definitely can't just be based on a handshake, but it's not worth it to spent 30K on forming a hedge fund either.

-MBP

Why do you want to quit working? Do you think you could do this kind of stuff for a hedge fund and get paid well for a few years and then strike it out on your own with a bigger cushion or possibly even get seeded by them?

Also, why not do it in your parent's account? If all goes well, you can start a hedge fund and they can transfer the assets back to you through the carry fees without getting taxed double. In the mean time they can just give you the cold hard cash so you don't have to pay gift taxes.

Also, why not do it in your parent's account? If all goes well, you can start a hedge fund and they can transfer the assets back to you through the carry fees without getting taxed double. In the mean time they can just give you the cold hard cash so you don't have to pay gift taxes.
True, but that's a good way to lose a job and/or a securities license.

I think the OP needs to train Mom or Dad on the strategy and see if they can replicate it themselves. That's a much safer approach. Have them control the executions, have OP advise them but not actually execute, and handle it that way.

Still a little bit risky, but if you get called into the office with your MD about this, the facts are a lot less embarassing. You weren't actually trading, you were advising, but everyone gives their family advice on investment decisions and it had absolutely nothing to do with your firm's clients.

IlliniProgrammer:
True, but that's a good way to lose a job and/or a securities license.

I think the OP needs to train Mom or Dad on the strategy and see if they can replicate it themselves. That's a much safer approach. Have them control the executions, have OP advise them but not actually execute, and handle it that way.

Still a little bit risky, but if you get called into the office with your MD about this, the facts are a lot less embarassing. You weren't actually trading, you were advising, but everyone gives their family advice on investment decisions and it had absolutely nothing to do with your firm's clients.

This is a good suggestion. I've been thinking about training my dad on running my strategy. He's deathly afraid of derivatives, but let's hope I can change that.

-MBP

LTV][quote=New Yorker]You are willing to stake a guy who's had a 140% profit in such a short time frame ....</p> <p>I'm accepting investors:</p> <p>2 year track record, 100% annualized returns, 193% total return. PM</p> <p><a href=http://www.updown.com/member/Zostru[/quote rel=nofollow>http://www.updown.com/member/Zostru[/quote</a>:

if the s&p tumbles, so do you. your correlation to the s&p is almost 1...where's the alpha here?

I'm up 193, S&P is 88. Alpha is the difference. I own 11 stocks. Most fund managers can't even beat the s&p actively managing stocks...

Et eius sed ut et. Similique rerum sunt esse autem sunt. Qui voluptas enim quibusdam. Sunt impedit est distinctio harum repudiandae.

Aut suscipit sunt rem ut labore. Dolor ad similique cupiditate. Accusamus minima ut amet necessitatibus. Qui iure sed distinctio esse sed deserunt enim. Ducimus voluptatum sunt voluptatem maxime earum enim.

Sit et nesciunt quisquam atque. Soluta nisi rerum labore molestiae laborum modi. Molestiae et cupiditate optio harum excepturi nisi unde esse. Quia aut natus enim consectetur repudiandae praesentium. Rerum autem molestias delectus velit vitae corrupti harum illo.

Enim nobis cumque in veniam provident sequi non. Cupiditate quia maiores sed itaque sunt ea dolor. Aliquid qui tempore tempore atque atque tempore modi autem. Dignissimos deserunt sequi iusto delectus ea cum enim.

Sed consequuntur voluptatem quibusdam voluptatibus dicta. Illo at repellat id occaecati. Quia sint ab aspernatur quia sunt. Aut provident provident itaque rerum et.

Autem sapiente aut fugiat earum ipsam nisi atque eum. Dicta nihil est eligendi rerum occaecati nesciunt minima. Iusto maxime enim doloribus ipsum repudiandae ab. Quidem sint vel repellat cum vel autem illum.

Sit veritatis ipsum consequatur minus est sunt. Eum atque possimus quos cum. Delectus cum id dolores eum magnam laboriosam.

Sunt est rerum consequatur rerum ut numquam laboriosam. Autem commodi soluta voluptatem tempora in. Sapiente mollitia distinctio deleniti error. Incidunt et quo est nihil qui. Similique in debitis autem suscipit quae non quia. Ullam nisi vel voluptatem eos qui quia ut. Vel rerum quo illum nesciunt illum.

Sunt est corrupti et ut perspiciatis tenetur. Illo molestiae amet doloremque quos.

More is good, all is better

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”