2017 ER Bonuses

We are nearing that fateful time of year when numbers discussions take place. There are already a couple of these out there for IBD/S&T so let's round it out with ER.

Let's keep this pretty simple and straightforward:
Bank: BB/MM/EB/etc.
Bonus: in USD. Also denote whether or not it's a stub.
Base: current and whether or not you got a bump.
Years experience: How long have you been doing SS ER

That should take care of what most people care about and offer a decent foundation for comparison.

Hopefully these discussions offer a bright spot for us as we move through 4Q earnings.

Mod Note: You can find the IB and S&T bonus forms below.
IB Bonuses
S&T Bonuses

I feel like those entry-level jobs negotiations go like this: Bank: "Your base salary is $X and you will have a sign-on bonus of $Y" Candidate: "I'd like to negot...." Bank: "That's the offer." Candidate: "I have an offer from Z Bank" Bank: "OK, sign with Z then.. Who is the next kid we were going to hire?" Grabs stack of hundreds of qualified MBA candidates

In all seriousness, you probably can't negotiate anything as an entry level position. I hopped to another IBD group and was able to push for a direct lateral (ie not get docked a year of actual work experience) and was able to get a slightly higher sign-on simply because I had a clawback that I asked the bank to partially cover the shortfall (read: highly unique situation)

Off topic:

I had considered equity research as a career (on paper it sounds great), but holy shit what a bunch of fucking weirdos!

It's like all of the guys who were smart enough (or too smart?) to be investment bankers, but were too ugly, short, soft, weak, etc. to make the cut all got together to bitch and moan about stock prices because they aren't allowed to do deals.

It's kinda like band camp!

Best Response
surferdude867:

Off topic:

I had considered equity research as a career (on paper it sounds great), but holy shit what a bunch of fucking weirdos!

It's like all of the guys who were smart enough (or too smart?) to be investment bankers, but were too ugly, short, soft, weak, etc. to make the cut all got together to bitch and moan about stock prices because they aren't allowed to do deals.

I take it you absolutely loved your time in IBD then? You know, building those elaborate PPT presentations through the night that more often than not don't even get a look at?

What you've said is a bit of a myth to be honest - equity research is very diverse in the type of people that work there, albeit on average a bit more introverted.

TheFamousTrader:
surferdude867:

Off topic:

I take it you absolutely loved your time in IBD then? You know, building those elaborate PPT presentations through the night that more often than not don't even get a look at?

What you've said is a bit of a myth to be honest - equity research is very diverse in the type of people that work there, albeit on average a bit more introverted.

Never worked in IBD.

And it's funny because you.know what I said is true, you even acknowledge that it's "a bit of a myth." AKA mostly correct.

There are plenty of studs in ER - but analysts much more than associates.

...When the IBD analysts are let out to the work partes or get a glimpse of the inside of a bar, it takes about 3-4 cold ones until they start slurring their words and falling asleep.

Sure there are nerds everywhere in all avenues of finance, but my god IBD is a breeding ground of guys in their mid 20's with as much social ineptitude and lack of stamina as most freshmen.

surferdude867:

Off topic:

Ugly, short, soft weak. - Tell ya what 10 inch arms, I'd hold my physical/mental prowess against yours any day of the week, micro penis. As another poster said, how about you spend all night being a power point bitch while us weirdos do real work like publishing, creating models, interacting with C-level management, and consulting for IBD when you guys are clueless on an industry.

Are you in NYC? Last summer as a SA I made $85k prorated for the 10 weeks I was there + half time overtime for hours worked above 40hrs per week (which was often). This was BB ER. If you are given an offer at the end of the summer they'll usually offer you a signing bonus with a deadline to encourage you to accept quickly (and to not try to leverage your offer to go elsewhere. Mine was around $2500. I'm still waiting on an additional bonus of $10k to help with moving expenses.

Sure thing. Someone PMed me asking the same thing, so please see the below. I'm not trying to hijack this tread tho, so feel free to PM me with additional Qs.

I graduated in 2015, and have been working in a MO role at MM. CFA def helped me move, like a lot. I passed I & II when I was applying and I think that made my resume stand out. I got the job from applying online, I sent out about 60+ apps. I found landing a job in finance is a numbers game... if you dont know anyone/went to a nontarget. During the interviews I focused on the most interesting parts of my job. I got grilled hard in my first few so I made sure that I learned my shit. Not just broad CFA stuff, but specifically equity valuation. I highly recommend subscribing to Aswath Damodoran's YouTube channel (NYU finance professor that everyone on the street knows and uses in their models). He basically records all his lectures and posts them online, so I was able to "take" his valuation & corp fin class during the CFA off season. Also, I absolutely hated my job, so I made sure that I focused on passing the CFA 1& 2 on the 1st try, and learning enough about valuation that I could hold my own in interviews if they started digging deep into some of the finance stuff.

Aswath does a great job of helping you answer simple int Qs with answers that show you have a deeper understanding of finance than just coming out with an undergrad degree, or memorizing the vault guide or w.e. I highly recommend his stuff. Also, obviously try modeling a few companies on your own from scratch, there are plenty of videos on YouTube that could teach you that as well. If you put the time to rly try to get a grasp on equity valuation from his videos, and learn to create a functioning model of 1-2 companies that you are interested in and could pitch in an interview. Then it'll just be a matter of time before something comes up. When I made the jump I was very confident that I could do the job, and felt that I taught myself enough to rly be able to hit the ground running.

K3:

Are all five years of your experience in ER?

Curious, how much would you say the average lead sector analyst makes at your BB's ER franchise?

Senior analyst pay varies widely. I would say the average is probably in the 700K range, though that can range from 300K to somewhere over 1mn as mentioned earlier. I'm guessing the top top analysts (II ranked analysts in large sectors important to banking) can make $1.5mn. $2mn is hard to do these days

Distinctio explicabo nulla officia eos accusantium cupiditate. Et enim hic temporibus cumque rem vel. Nihil laboriosam ab dolores odio ipsam optio. Eaque possimus iusto et numquam et delectus repudiandae.

Sit quas molestiae consequatur blanditiis cum. Asperiores quibusdam consequatur quia totam molestiae et. Unde eum doloribus ea asperiores itaque. Dolor et aperiam incidunt illum. Sequi tempore natus aut molestias quas. Et aut quam exercitationem in hic. Molestiae non et non earum laudantium rem.

Dolores velit inventore dolorem sed natus sunt. Eius corrupti accusamus omnis culpa unde. Dolor et assumenda tempora vitae.

Voluptate impedit aliquam perspiciatis blanditiis reiciendis voluptatibus libero. Dolor sit odit sed iure sunt libero et.

Voluptates dolores iusto delectus possimus animi. Quia nisi et iure. Libero est qui accusamus est fugiat.

Non quos eos omnis ipsa quis dolor et. Placeat facilis sunt aut amet. Enim vitae delectus sit animi velit id sit aut. Eos et non dolor sit praesentium aut. Modi sunt incidunt corporis doloremque in.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”