Best and Worst Cultures on the Street

Prefacing this with a please do not let this become a prestige ranking thread.

With the GS survey coming out last week I think it would be interesting to see some of the best and worst cultures on the street. Note that worst doesn’t always mean longest hours and best doesn’t always mean more lifestyle friendly. 

Most Helpful

The sad truth is, the best culture is probably at a total no-name shop. Someone is going to bring that up, and then they will get bullied for getting paid way below street and having terrible exits. 

Can confirm. Truist lacks the career advancement at the analyst level for this reason, but plenty of senior bankers come from more sweaty shops to become career bankers at Truist. They made a ton of moves recently in poaching from WF and other banks, which is kind of surprising.

Yep, worked at Truist and can confirm. LevFin and TMT have awful cultures. Rude personalities and they’re weirdly arrogant despite being a mediocre investment bank

Sadly, this isn’t completely true. Some groups have better culture, but LevFin, TMT, and probably healthcare have shit cultures

ubs was pretty nice before covid.  srs

lower bonuses but lower hours so was a fair trade off - didnt want to lateral at all (despite offers)

French banks have good culture for the most part, very laid back and European (which has its cons). My friend at BNP has 28 vacation days and he's encouraged to use at least half of them. 

Also concur about southern banks - Raymond James is another bank that has good culture, even in sweatshop groups like Tech & Services. 

Insert mandatory WSO banana bait about Evercore culture. 

Funniest

haha sick bruh. Another Tobin & Co joke!! I bet you thought it was going to get you SB's from anonymous sophomores attending UMass Amherst. Well guess what pal, it didn't. 

I think it's entirely group dependent at BBs. People at EVR and PJT seem to really like it - believe the turnover has been minimal this year - think PJT just implemented protected saturdays too. Moelis LA, as a non-analyst, actually sounds great too - know guys who surf before work and if you're the right culture-fit, you do really well. They did lose people like everyone else though.

Goldman sounds terrible, even now that they have wfh meals, it's still made so now you don't even want to do it. 

lol GS does not have WFH meals and very unlikely for that to change given Solomon wants our asses back at 200 West. Solomon did tell us the below in a voice recording on Sunday:

"Just remember: if we all go an extra mile for our client, even when we feel that we're reaching our limit, it can really make a difference in our performance."

Honestly I needed that pep talk. Totally feel motivated to work harder for our clients after hearing that!

When things are quiet, some people do surf.

If you are actually staffed up with the revenue generators in that office, you will certainly not be surfing. Their VPs and even EDs work analyst/associate hours. Associates work as much or more than analysts. 

They protect sure, but can be overridden. Both MKE and Chi are absolute sweatshops. It’s insane that people think they have a good culture. It’s like propaganda or something lol. Talk to nearly any analyst / associate and you’ll see.

I've been communicating with an alum that is in a solid group there and the vibe I get is that they're being worked to the bone, but the seniors are actually chill/understanding. FWIW I wonder how much has to do with the CEO that took over a few years back. It's hard currently to see what the difference is between banks due to covid conditions and what normal culture is like. 

Heard TD has a very strong culture... apparently one of the best ones on the street 

Lol. The grand facade of Canadian banks. From what I hear culture might be great in Canada itself but as far as US is concerned it’s typical as any other US banks because the senior bankers are usually laterals from other banks and bring their own culture with them 

Group specific or all groups?

MM banks are night and day with deal flow for top groups vs. the average or others. Typically one or 2 groups carry the torch for the firm. 

baird = industrials has always been bread and butter

blair = tech

etc. 

I really doubt exit options and the experience are as strong in the weaker deal flow groups (sure maybe WLB is a bit better but pick and choose)

lmao, there's a bracket going around one of the insta finmeme pages about the worst groups for WLB:

brackets for Worst Group

These views are not mine just thought it would be interesting to share it here.

Now there’s a thread on Evercore culture being rough, which one is it lol?

Now there’s a thread on Evercore culture being rough, which one is it lol?

hahaha i make fun of people's gender identity because I'm insecure and not empathetic

To be honest, I am in research in a hot sub-sector, and my pay is roughly comparable to banking analysts amazingly. I would expect the bankers to be paid above the street though. Some M&A, mostly cap markets, but I expect M&A to grow in the coming years. Firm crushed it in 2020 like many others and obviously the healthcare space, especially biotech, is still hot.

Suscipit natus accusantium accusantium aliquam incidunt. Voluptate ullam aut sit magni nulla ratione. Repudiandae suscipit dolores exercitationem laboriosam quod consequuntur.

Nulla sunt minima accusamus amet. Commodi sequi deserunt laboriosam ut aut omnis. Cum aut dolore eum amet. Illo dolores et odio sit. Qui dolores quaerat laboriosam et dolor ipsa. Illum sed aperiam cum nam in.

Similique voluptatum sit quam minima ut sequi beatae. Ullam voluptatem qui tenetur soluta quidem aut velit. Voluptas numquam velit consequuntur voluptatem non consequatur.

Molestiae praesentium unde doloribus fugiat excepturi nesciunt. Quae et enim omnis dignissimos. Iusto accusamus rerum voluptates aperiam illum ratione et. A sapiente qui nihil tenetur quos. Ea delectus voluptas voluptatem qui fuga maiores perspiciatis. Assumenda ut voluptatem neque esse hic.

Id aut accusamus inventore natus fugiat qui. Officiis necessitatibus qui aut quidem rerum in eligendi. Dolores sint doloremque qui omnis. Magnam aut quidem maxime fuga ipsa doloribus maxime dolor.

Qui fugit qui exercitationem. Fugit commodi magni qui at iste ullam aperiam sunt. Corrupti ut atque incidunt ab quo voluptates sequi. Porro aut quisquam iusto voluptas placeat. Fuga vero facilis sapiente ipsa.

Voluptatem aut enim qui voluptates rem ullam. Dolores velit fugiat vitae beatae. Aut at repellendus numquam accusamus laborum fuga.

Repellat provident quis enim cum. Eos a sint rerum vero. Aut ipsa officiis quia iste. Enim voluptatibus fuga quo officiis possimus corrupti maiores voluptas.

Excepturi voluptas impedit corporis dicta et quod et. Sit voluptatem non quia. Inventore rerum quis sint modi sed mollitia molestias. Error vero et ad beatae qui non tempora. Quia ut commodi est quis odit. Ad dignissimos eos officia nihil sit ut ea repellendus. Rerum voluptatibus eos ut voluptatem autem eos.

Dolores eos id expedita officiis. Quia non voluptatibus pariatur facilis vero est placeat. Quis natus deserunt amet qui ea animi. Blanditiis sit autem voluptatem aut. Quia asperiores earum omnis ullam doloribus commodi non nisi. Commodi unde impedit officiis assumenda sunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”