Any questions on life in finance in Hong Kong? AMA
i've been here since 2005, worked in IBD, and then PE.
It's been a while, but happy to help if anyone has questions.
* While for many jobs language skills aren't specified as mandatory per se, to actually be competitive you kind of DO need to be able to speak Mandarin or other Asian language
* to really make it into upper echelons you have to be a rainmaker, and to do that you need to be able to crack local dealflow in China / local countries, so even language skill is not enough. You need to be a dyed-in-the-wool local, with local connections, if you're going to make it to BSD levels.
* HK is still the most important finance city in Asia, but its importance is fading as more ibanking and PE jobs have moved into China (and to a lesser extent to other Asian cities as firms localize)
* Wall Street experience is valued, but less so than local experience (unless you were doing something truly amazing back home)
* lifestyle here is amazing - taxes are low, healthcare is free, weather is mild, transportation is efficient and cheap. Housing is congested and expensive but you can't have everything.
Mod Note (Andy): if you're already in HK, there's a meet up coming up on October 12th, more info here.
Resume Review Service
- Match with one of WSO's financial experts to get your resume reviewed.
- We ensure that the most critical documents in your job search are ready.
- Rigorous, iterative process with over 2,300 clients over 10 years.