Anyone get totally shafted by consulting apps for SA 2021?

I go to a target, and between myself and some of my peers, this recruiting cycle has been an absolute disaster for consulting. Applications to all of MBB, Big 4, and T2 and no first-round case interviews anywhere for many of us, despite 3.8+ and good experiences and resumes. Is this the case across the board for other juniors as well, or just very unlucky and/or hiring is way down due to COVID?

I originally guessed that covid would affect FT but not summer but not sure anymore. We'll have to see how big these intern classes are

I am really sorry man, I can empathize. The timing of this all really sucks, but things will pan out for you, best of luck moving forward!

The bar seems much much higher than normal and interviews truly feel random and sporadic, no clue how to have better positioned.

I'm in the exact same boat. I go to a non target but I have friends that have gotten interviews and it seems like a random numbers game. I'm sure this year is just as weird for the companies too and they are stressed out trying to navigate everything and recruitment is not at the top of mind. Full time recruitment next year will surely be easier so we have to just keep chugging along!

True hopefully easier if we need a next go around. The randomness really sucks, feel like they never mention the luck component when they have to reject hundreds of qualified kids.

Really frustrating how sporadic it is this year, with even fewer spots available as well. Know anyone who has received offers? I have yet to hear any juniors actually get one.

I got a McK summer offer as a junior from a top target. Most of my friends did not though and they have just as good backgrounds/resumes/etc. as me. From talking to some of the people, I get the sense they're really cutting down intern classes. E.g. Bain SF is taking half of its usual number of interns and that's common across the board. 

Me neither - networked my ass off, semi target, 3.7, good ECs, one first round but got rejected after. Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one and this cycle's kinda fucked.

Yo I thought I was just straight up dumb or something because I've been in this same boat. ivy, stem major, 3.7 and dinged at nearly every place even no first round. 

I 1000% feel you, looking around though it does look like there's a lot of us. Less a reflection of our candidacy and moreso everything is just fucked right now. Things will hopefully work out though, we are strong candidates!

how important do you think office preference is? anyone at semi/regional targets have success applying to offices without a lot of alumni?

I got shafted for ft recruiting in management consulting - just pivoting into a different career. I began preparation since last March on networking, casing, resume strengthening and then several of my most likely positions (strong connections, previous internship, transferable work) got pulled due to this virus.

Now I’m coming to grips with finding any relevant form of work and hoping to lateral to consulting in a year.

Most Helpful

Giving some washed up senior advice - treat recruitment (especially for MBB) like a two year process. I believe the MBB firms took similar or greater number of full-time analysts this year compared to previous years. Consulting firms are still hiring large incoming classes for full-time positions, so keep grinding and it'll all work out.  Personally, I ended up with 2 interviews and 0 offers as a junior (non-COVID world) for consulting from a semi-target school. I was devastated, and I ended up accepting a corporate finance internship. For full-time, I ended up receiving interviews at all MBBs and the two Big 4 firms I applied to (received 3 full-time offers and chose McK). When you look at incoming full-time analysts at MBB firms, a lot of them did NOT have consulting internships going into senior year. 

Utilize the summer before senior year to network and master your case interview skills. Schedule practice cases with people at the firms you are interested in. Practice cases with friends that received internship / full-time offers at consulting firms. DM me if you want some advice. I hated seeing my peers stressed and freaking out during junior year recruiting. It's a two year game plan. Find an opportunity that interests you and allows you to learn a lot this summer (doesn't have to be the most lavish internship). 

Consequatur cumque quo et enim impedit reiciendis suscipit. Eius quae aut praesentium autem. Quia aut et ea nesciunt maiores qui et. Amet architecto qui enim quia dolorem.

Sed earum dicta nesciunt eum iste. Minus soluta autem eius voluptas a est. Sapiente et ipsum corrupti aliquam. Sed deserunt vitae autem reprehenderit. Tenetur minima dignissimos dolor sit sit itaque autem.

Qui molestiae eum et ea. Quibusdam reiciendis quis aut dolorem aspernatur dolor. Quod ipsum provident fugit omnis sed ut. Itaque qui sapiente quas molestiae rerum qui dolorem. Enim velit quibusdam et officiis itaque architecto.

Vel in illo aut qui quod blanditiis. Vero quo omnis fugit cupiditate. Quasi quod fugiat maxime repellendus. Corporis reprehenderit tempore minima odio. Non ullam laudantium omnis. Molestiae nostrum dolor quaerat commodi sint. Quia aut distinctio laboriosam facere et molestiae neque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”