Good day to you all.
A longtime member of this forum, just creating a new account to post this and would like to hear your thoughts, especially from those who have made similar decisions.
I've received two offers and am currently deciding which one to go for. Not going to describe theoffer since it's quite standard, but will give a brief description of the fund:
- it's one of the funds under an firm (the firm has 5-10 funds with $8-10 bn AUM, with varying fund sizes)
- $1-2 bn AUM, ~1.5% flat fees + 20% performance fees
- return: ~7% P.A. for the past 5 years, global L/S equity strategy
- manager has been managing the fund for ~10 years, prior to that was an analyst at a bank
- founder of the firm quite well known, manager of the fund less so. The firm has recently added managers from / to establish new fund offerings
What are your views on joining a fund right out of undergrad? If my objective is to learn as much as possible for the next few years, how should I go about researching this manager to see if he's the right person to learn from? ~7% P.A. return in the past 5 years doesn't scream excellence, but I don't want to base my decision solely on that number.
Thanks for reading and please share your thoughts if anything comes to mind.
Hedge Fund Interview Course
- 814 questions across 165 hedge funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
- 11 Detailed Sample Pitches and 10+ hours of video.
- Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring hedge fund professionals just like you.